Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I know this topic has probably been beaten to death many times but I need some help figuring out which bike to purchase before spring and after my tax refund comes :D anyways I'm 5'9ish and about 155lbs I have been riding a now 11 year old Gary Fisher Marlin that's got tons of upgrade, I like riding wooden stunts, skinnies, super technical rock riding is my favorite and the biggest drops I've pulled off are about 4-4 1/2 feet. I love the geometry of my marlin but I need something that will handle bigger stuff like 6 foot drops maybe bigger, I also would like to take it up to Highland mountain bike park this summer. My budget will be 2000-2500 at the absolute most. I don't mind if the frame is a great one but some of the components are lower quality, as long as it holds up well for a season and then I can put some money into it upgrading parts. I had been looking at the iron horse 7points but it looks like I missed the boat on those because I can't find new ones anywhere and the price point sette specials but I am completly open minded. Sorry for the long post but I wanted to give all info needed to help me chose the right bike. Thanks for any info!

·
T.W.O
1,730 Posts
Really depends on whether or not you want a FS or a HT. Everyone is going to give you ideas on what they ride and like, but it's really up for you to do unbiased research on what you think will be the best.

For instance, I live in MI where it is mostly singletrack and I love going up to Boyne Mtn (considered DH), but mostly am forced to do XC and technical riding. For this reason I stuck with a HT, but I got steel because it has a little bit more flex than an AL frame.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Did you consider a BMC foursroke I got one and I love it, or a Giant. My friend has a Giant and my BMC feels the same both great bikes and some of the best suspension on the market. Also this is the 09 the tf03 120mm version the suspension is different now but better. Here is a trail fox for 1700 not bad for the price. plus u cant get a reign x2 in your price range.

fhttp://www.competitivecyclist.com/frame/2010-BMC-Trail-Fox-TF02-Complete-Bike-8674.html?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=Google%2BBase&utm_campaign=Datafeed

Attachments

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
pitch is a good choice. there are a few from santa cruz that would be good too. heckler and maybe nickel/butcher. the nickel/butcher might be a little out of your price range though.
might also look around for a chumba xcl, Giant reign, KHS velvet or lucky.

have fun.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts