Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! I think this community would be appropriate to give some clue about giving first aid in the wild.
So, do you guys have gone through training on how to give first aid? In my country everyone is mandated to go through that kind of training as part of a driver license.
I never did such a training, so I was thinking to learn it online. Do you think that would work? Are you aware of any good online course?

·
Registered
423 Posts
A good source maybe YouTube. That's where I get all the "how to" videos.

·
DFL
1,398 Posts
There's some pretty good books on the subject, check out Amazon. This seems like a good one.

Sent from my iPad while drinking the kool aid.

·
Registered
6,985 Posts
REI offers wilderness first aid classes. Maybe a local rescue squad/Fire dept. has classes or local college. IMO, everyone should have at least CPR/AED and basic first aid. It was a requirement when I was in jr. high but after going to high school that was the last of it. Of course I've had more training since then...I was an EMT for a while and I have my CPR/AED/ACLS cards.

***I just saw where you are in a different country? Or do you live in the US now? Not sure about online...maybe checkout red cross or American Heart Association or something along those lines. They might have something.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
***I just saw where you are in a different country? Or do you live in the US now? Not sure about online...maybe checkout red cross or American Heart Association or something along those lines. They might have something.
I live in Albania. Yes, I think I will take the red cross course, but also look at the online sources suggested above.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I would stay away from 'online' courses for first aid as they can give you the theory but some things need to have hands on turorial, especially CPR, ie learning to feel for the best place to put your hands right amount of pressure and experiencing how hard it is otherwise its easy to stuff it up. Also how up to date is the info on youtube as techinques and info change all the time, ie the heimlich maneavurfe is no longer an accepted way to clear a blokage and what are your rights as a first aider attending to someone legally.

·
Registered
Santa Cruz HT2 (CC, XT), Stigmata (CC, GRX800)
628 Posts
I suppose online is better than nothing. But there is no substitute for actual hands-on instruction.
As far as the extent of my training? I'm a 68W/Combat Medic in the U.S. Army (currently Reserve.)
Actually, one of the soldiers in my section is from Albania. I could ask him if he is familiar with any organizations that my be more local to you.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts