Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all,

just a couple newbie questions about bike maintenance / performance in my first month of riding. i have an sc blur, with hydraulic disc brakes.

- as time goes on, will my brakes tighten or loosen a bit?
- should i plan to take my bike in for the usual post-30 day maintenance for chain stretch?

anything else i should expect?

thanks,
triane

·
Not because I'm fast.....
748 Posts
Here are some tips

trianec said:
hi all,

just a couple newbie questions about bike maintenance / performance in my first month of riding. i have an sc blur, with hydraulic disc brakes.

- as time goes on, will my brakes tighten or loosen a bit?
- should i plan to take my bike in for the usual post-30 day maintenance for chain stretch?

anything else i should expect?

thanks,
triane
First off I know nothing about Hydraulic brakes so I won't try. I am guessing the brakes will self adjust automatically to any pad wear.

Chain stretch won't be an issue. You will experience some cable stretch from your derailleur cables which might make your shifting performance get a lot worse. Tightening up the cables at the shifter barrel adjusters usually takes care of that. Check your pivots and all the bolts on your bike for looseness. Especially your crank arm bolts, I have seen those loosen up often a new bikes. Check your hubs to see if they need adjustment, your wheels to see if they need to be trued, and that's about it. For really good maintenance and repair tips for your bike see the Park Tool website. I suggest learning to do the work yourself as with a little time and practice you can be a pretty good home mechanic.
http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/FAQindex.shtml

Good luck!

·
I love Pisgah
3,406 Posts
Not much really. The hydros brakes should really do nothing but get better..meaning as they "seat" to the discs. The chain if kept lightly lubed, will last a long time. Sometimes after a few weeks, the shifter cables will need some tuning, since they are under constant tension. Maybe a wheel truing ck, as the first few weeks ar when the "seat" the most also. This is ture the most with machine built wheels. If hand built, this is much less an issue, if at all. Maybe check your tire and suspension pressures if your not already doing so, which your really should. Sooner or later, all shocks and forks need "resetting" of its pressures....and air will leak from the best of tubes or tires over time.

No biggies tho. Enjoy your new ride. Its a good one.

Duck

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
Yes, but make it after about 100 miles, not just 30 days. If you only ride a few miles a week then it won't be enough riding to break things in after just 30 days.

Really nice bike for a newb. I hope you purchase a bike repair book and build up your bike specific tool box. You might find it's going to be essential to riding safely outside the normal boundaries of walking quickly home to call the lbs for a fix if you can do a lot of adjustments, repairs yourself.

Some small things...your chain should last quite a while. When it gets up to 12 1/16" between links it's time to change(it comes at 12" between links). When it gets to 12 1/8" you'll most likely have to change your cassette and rings along with your chain. If you change just your chain it'll cause improper wear to the whole drivetrain due to them being at different stages of wear and shifting might be dodgy. Your cables don't actually stretch. They seat themselves due to tension. If you know nothing about these adjustments it's best not to guess and let a bike shop do it. Ask them to let you watch and ask questions.

Have fun.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts