Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well, i finally finished building up my xl soma juice. the final build is as follows

soma 20in frame (red)
white bros. bw.8 fork
salsa delgado rims w/xtr hubs
bontrager xr tires
sram 9.0sl v-brakes
sram 9.0sl brake levers
sram 9.0sl grip shifters (8spd)
truvativ 180mm stylo double (2x8) cranks
time ATAC pedals
shimano xt front derailleur
sram 9.0sl rear derailleur
azonic cf-1 carbon riser bars
az racing 100mm 5 deg. carbon stem
crank bros grips
syncros 27.2mmx400mm post
bontrager race lite saddle

bike weighs 26 lbs with pedals. bike was finished friday night so i planned to ride saturday morning. weather report said wintery mix of rain and snow so i got up early to beat the bad weather. i was really anxious to see if all the hype on this forum was true.
its true, i must admit. id first like to say that Soma really did a great job with the geometry of this bike. i live on Long Island in NY which is lacking in big climbs but has a plenty of extremely tight singletrack. the short climbs we do have are always after tight turns so no using momentum to get up them. the length of the bike plus the big wheels were a serious concern to me. ive ridden many places but no place as tight as LI.
the ride initially felt tall but very comfortable, the bike fits me perfectly. i set out on a 14 mile ride that starts flat for the first few miles then goes into rolling, wooded singletrack.
the big wheels dont get up to speed as quickly as 26er's but their not bad either. the bike felt smooth, very smooth over the roots and rocks, stable over the wet leaves and through the mud. the feeling of stability was quite noticeable, and traction was phenominal in all conditions. through the roots, rocks, mud and wet leaves i never lost traction. NEVER.
now the real test, the tight as a nats @ss LI twisties. im estatic to report the Juice is a nimble, quick steering singletrack killer :D !. i was able to take nice, tight lines. just lean the bike into the turns and it rails them faster than my 26er's ever did. im really diggin' this bike :eek: , its better than its price would indicate. A LOT BETTER. i plan to post pics (which i took on my ride) as soon as i figure out how with my new camera. my wife got me an HP digital camera w/ a docking port for the computer,printer and tv. i need to read the instructions to learn how to post. until then, peace out.

·
Big Wheel Homer !!
1,752 Posts
Great to hear you like it. I'm with you about the ride quality, I think anyone in the market for KM, Inbred or Unit must take a look at the Juice. Not to say I'm selling off everything to ride the Juice, but I do like the way it rides. Let's see some pics.

Steve

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
neither am i but...

cruzthepug said:
Great to hear you like it. I'm with you about the ride quality, I think anyone in the market for KM, Inbred or Unit must take a look at the Juice. Not to say I'm selling off everything to ride the Juice, but I do like the way it rides. Let's see some pics.

Steve
im curious to see how my old bikes feel AFTER riding the big wheels. the only bike that i felt so instantly at home on as far as fit is my norco team issue steel hardtail. every other bike took me a little while to dial in, even my curtlo, which is a custom build. im convinced that measurements alone do not a great fit make. how you like to be situated on the bike is another issue that can be only addressed if you get the serrota type fitting done or go to your frames builder and have him fit you. with this bike IM DONE as far as fit :D .

·
Registered
124 Posts
I HAVE decided to sell off my other bikes after about 2 months with the Juice.
My little wheeled squishy SS just isn't as much fun as this one rigid.
Got rid of the gearie HT to build the Juice and I haven't missed it either.
Now I have to find a sucker to buy the collection of 26" tires I have

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
its a sweet riding bike...

Surlydave said:
I HAVE decided to sell off my other bikes after about 2 months with the Juice.
My little wheeled squishy SS just isn't as much fun as this one rigid.
Got rid of the gearie HT to build the Juice and I haven't missed it either.
Now I have to find a sucker to buy the collection of 26" tires I have
isnt it ;) !.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
you cant go wrong...

EricJames said:
Sounds like a great ride. I'm seriously considering getting the juice too.
unless the geometry dosnt fit you. the value for money is awesome. you have to see the sweet paint in person, you wont believe its a $400 frame. the welds are nice too, not like custom, but very clean and even.

·
Registered
41 Posts
The thing that has me unsure about ordering a production frame without seeing it is getting the right fit. I emailed soma for a size reccomedation and they weren't all that helpful. I'm thinking about getting an 18" frame. The top tube is about the same as my 17.5" monocog, which fits me well, but the standover is about an inch taller. I am 5'11" with a 33" inseam. I'm wondering if I should go down a size?

·
Big Wheel Homer !!
1,752 Posts
EricJames said:
The thing that has me unsure about ordering a production frame without seeing it is getting the right fit. I emailed soma for a size reccomedation and they weren't all that helpful. I'm thinking about getting an 18" frame. The top tube is about the same as my 17.5" monocog, which fits me well, but the standover is about an inch taller. I am 5'11" with a 33" inseam. I'm wondering if I should go down a size?
The standover shouldn't be a issue, I've got a 34 inseam and got the 20" Juice. What length stem do you have on the Monocog? Do you have a setback seatpost?

Steve

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
same here...

cruzthepug said:
The standover shouldn't be a issue, I've got a 34 inseam and got the 20" Juice. What length stem do you have on the Monocog? Do you have a setback seatpost?

Steve
6ft 2", 34in. inseam 20" juice w/100mm stem. perfect fit.

·
Registered
41 Posts
cruzthepug said:
Steve
I think it my stem length is 110mm and I do have a setback seatpost. I run 175 cranks. I was hoping to transfer these over to the Juice frame.
Do you think the 18" will fit me? How do you know if a bike will fit? Is there some formula?
I'm sure these are dumb questions. I'm not learning as I go.

·
Registered
4,636 Posts
Hey EricJames,

I think you should get the 18" Juice. Standover will not be a problem with your inseam. Since you the the Monocog fit you well and the TTs are about the same length. You should be very happy with an 18", and no, I don't think you should go down a size.

·
Registered
9,598 Posts
EricJames said:
I think it my stem length is 110mm and I do have a setback seatpost. I run 175 cranks. I was hoping to transfer these over to the Juice frame.
Do you think the 18" will fit me? How do you know if a bike will fit? Is there some formula?
Based on the info that has been conveyed and shown in photos here on mtbr.com about the small Juice, I'd say definitely get the 18" frame. I think a small was recently built up by a forum member for his girlfriend who is like 5'4" tall and she still had plenty of standover. I think the standover height may be lower than what SOMA Fab lists on their site.

I'm 5'9" with a 30" pants inseam and if I bought a Juice now based on what I've seen and read, I'd opt for an 18" so for you it should definitely be fine in terms of ample standover clearance.

·
Big Wheel Homer !!
1,752 Posts
EricJames said:
From the Redline website the Monocog has a 23.0 TT (584.20mm).

Monocog:
584.20 + 110 (stem) = 694.20 (27.33 inches)

Juice
600 + 110 = 710 (27.95 inches)
600 + 100 = 700 (27.55 inches)

If you just swap over seatpost and stem the cockpit length will be just over 1/2" longer on the Juice. Some of this can be adjusted by moving the saddle a bit forward on the post. As you can see a 100mm stem would be a little closer match, 1/4".

The 18" Juice should fit fine, just swap over you parts and ride. If you feel a little stretched out you can always get a shorter stem later. Hope this all helps.

Steve

1 - 16 of 16 Posts