Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I funally got my first 29er... Picked up my 2011 Scott Scale 29er Pro Friday. Now, I use to race cat 1 road, and mountain bikes when I was a junior. I won 4 state championships, and place top five at nats 3 times. I decided to ride again after a 10 year break, yeah I know a lot has changed. So I never cared to much for full suspension, probably due to being a roadie.. So I bought a 26in hardtail, and wouldnt listen to the 29er concept.. I was stuck on old school 26in hardtail no matter what.. So after going out to the trails and seeing a boat load of 29ers.. I started to read up on them. The more I read and reveiwed, the more the concept made sense to me. So A friend of mine that helped me get to nationals way back when owns a couple bike shops. I went in and ordered the Scott Scale 29er Pro.. Didnt test ride one period, I figured i wouldnt give the bike a true shot unless I owned it. So I pulled the trigger and bought it. Especially when he told me there was only one large left in the country. I took that as a sign.....lol...Only thing I did to the bike was slide the seat back a tad, and took the 90mm stem off and out a 110mm on the bike. Perfect fit. So I hit the trails that I normally ride, and pow, right out of the gate, I was much much much much much faster, smoother.... The bike just makes you go faster, and feel more confident... So to all of you debating on a 29er... DO IT!!!! Bottom line. I will never ride a 26 inch wheel again.. EVER.. I didnt get nearly as tired as fast as I did on a 26.. This bike is absolutely amazing.. Im trying to upload pics, but I cant for some reason...

·
beautiful jackass
637 Posts
Preaching to the choir :)

I took a second 10 mile ride on the Jabberwocky yesterday and it's totally reinvigorated my riding. It feels so good and confidence-inspiring to have those big wheels on the trail.

I came from a full suspension 26" Transition Preston and the difference is night and day. The 29er rolls over everything so easily.

P.S. If you're having trouble uploading pictures to the forums, try using tinypic.com to upload them, and then post the URL they give you here to display them. Use the link they specify for message boards because it's already got the right tags to display as an image and not a link.

·
Always Learning
9,608 Posts
boxerbill77 said:
So I funally got my first 29er...I use to race cat 1 road, and mountain bikes when I was a junior. I won 4 state championships, and place top five at nats 3 times.

I was stuck on old school 26in hardtail no matter what..

So A friend of mine that helped me get to nationals way back when owns a couple bike shops. I went in and ordered the Scott Scale 29er Pro..

I hit the trails that I normally ride, and pow, right out of the gate, I was much much much much much faster, smoother.... The bike just makes you go faster, and feel more confident... So to all of you debating on a 29er... DO IT!!!!

Bottom line. I will never ride a 26 inch wheel again.. EVER.. I didn't get nearly as tired as fast as I did on a 26.. This bike is absolutely amazing..
Many here can relate (well, minus that street cred part about state championships and podiums at nationals;) ).

Nice bike, by the way. I took a close look at a lower end size L Scale (Comp) yesterday with my son who is interested in a new ride.

·
Registered
262 Posts
boxerbill77 said:
So I funally got my first 29er... Picked up my 2011 Scott Scale 29er Pro Friday. Now, I use to race cat 1 road, and mountain bikes when I was a junior. I won 4 state championships, and place top five at nats 3 times. I decided to ride again after a 10 year break, yeah I know a lot has changed. So I never cared to much for full suspension, probably due to being a roadie.. So I bought a 26in hardtail, and wouldnt listen to the 29er concept.. I was stuck on old school 26in hardtail no matter what.. So after going out to the trails and seeing a boat load of 29ers.. I started to read up on them. The more I read and reveiwed, the more the concept made sense to me. So A friend of mine that helped me get to nationals way back when owns a couple bike shops. I went in and ordered the Scott Scale 29er Pro.. Didnt test ride one period, I figured i wouldnt give the bike a true shot unless I owned it. So I pulled the trigger and bought it. Especially when he told me there was only one large left in the country. I took that as a sign.....lol...Only thing I did to the bike was slide the seat back a tad, and took the 90mm stem off and out a 110mm on the bike. Perfect fit. So I hit the trails that I normally ride, and pow, right out of the gate, I was much much much much much faster, smoother.... The bike just makes you go faster, and feel more confident... So to all of you debating on a 29er... DO IT!!!! Bottom line. I will never ride a 26 inch wheel again.. EVER.. I didnt get nearly as tired as fast as I did on a 26.. This bike is absolutely amazing.. Im trying to upload pics, but I cant for some reason...
Thats funny, Same thing happened here, 10 plus years off the bike, decided to spend some money on a new one and got a flash 29er HT last year. Rode that for 2 months and broke the frame, while waiting for the replacement to come in (never did) I bought and built a SC blurt lt2 26er. While the Blur rocked I always wanted a 29er again. I was lucky enough to do some swapping and replacements and now have another Cannodale Caffeine f29HT and a Tallboy. Best of all worlds. The TB is still getting built up and parts are arriving daily but I think I will be in love with the FS 29er. Congrats and welcome to the club.

·
Registered
237 Posts
heck, i just got a SS peace 9r...after getting a road, cross, full-sus fleet these past two years, my wife barely agreed to let me 'try' out the 29er argument for 'cheap'....my first ride convinced me this was a great decision. today's ride in torrential rain, i am now rethinking what i own...too weird. too many scenarios...a drop-bar one next?

anyways, face still hurts from grinning all day.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Welcome to the Club !

I got mine 2 weeks ago ( or was it 3 ? )

I Freakin love it !

It's EXACTLY what I was lookin for in a ride.

Very nice lookin bike you get there, love the paint job :)

Ted

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.