Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently run Truvativ FireX cranks with 24-36-bash. The rings are basically brand new. Only have a few rides on em, but the BB is a little rough. Oh, I'm 6'2" 240 pounds too.

Would it be worth it to upgrade to SLX cranks, or just get a new GXP BB for $30?

Would I notice any difference in stiffness?

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
Many guys in a blindfold test wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a square taper and an external type crank. Which kind of Firex cranks do you have? Really doubtful you could tell differences between different external type brands. Seems kinda silly to throw a whole crank out when all you need to do is service your current one. What do you mean by rough bearings? Did you try to simply service them? There's a nice sticky on the subject at the top of the forum.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
2007 FireX GXP 3.3 I think. I mangled the cups on install. The outside looks like crap, and the bearings are pretty torn up too. The surface that makes contact with the spindle has seen better days (looks like it was pounded on with a screwdriver). The plastic thing between the two cups is missing also.

Now that I'm typing it all out and actually thinking about it. I should just get a new BB and be done. There's nothing wrong with the rest of it.

Now another question. Are all GXP BB's created equal? I see just a standard GXP that looks like mine, and there's a Team GXP that is silver. Any differences?

Thanks,
Bryan

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
Looking on the SRAM website I only see the Team GXP with threaded cups (avail in standard or ceramic bearings), there's another GXP with press in cups. As long as they're GXP threaded they should be fine, you just can't use the Shimano/RaceFace/FSA/King/Hope bb's (altho Hope makes an adapter).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.