Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
giddy up!
3,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...Today was the Firestone endurance race outside of Santa Barbara. 70 miles of pure stutter bump bliss.

The day began at 3:30 AM. The race was about 3 hours away and it started at 7:50. I don't know about you guys but that's a stinkin early morning for me. Met up at the Path BIke Shop to carpool up to the race with Leslie(aka Padre's wife aka 1x1 girl) and Mandy. This was the second glimpse of the niner and the first ride in the Padre family's new honda element. That thing rocks. I had every intention of stealing it but she never let it out of her site. Oh, that niner is really sweet too.

Anyway, we got to the race with time to spare and got things rolling. Leslie was riding her niner, I was on my trusty strong SS and my friend Lexi was riding her rigid geared monkey. There was also some other fella on a geared monkey but I didn't catch his name. I also saw a green kelly in passing but I was too busy eating mike and ikes and socializing.

Okay, so the race is 5 laps around a fourteen mile course with plenty of steep climbs and some fun fast downhills. There ended up being three single speeders in the marathon race....myself, Leslie and jeroen(fellow warrior's society member). Kind of a week turn out for such a large race but I digress.

The race started with nominal fanfare...heck it's early, what do you expect. I told Jeroen from the getgo that the race was all his..I had no intention of mixing it up with that guy in his present state of fitness! I ended up riding by myself until the last lap when I was caught by Leslie while fixing the second of two mechanicals(broke a sram pc-99 chain and cracked a carbon seat post clamp. I guess carbon's not a good material for this application!) I stayed with Leslie for the last lap and shared notes from the day.....I ate this and it worked well...I rode this section and it sucked....my lower back hurts..this kind of stuff. Roughly 4 miles from the finish some kind soul handed me an ice cold low carb beer of some sort...nice work, very refreshing.

At the end of the day the breakdown went like this...
Jeroen-5:30 something. VERY impressive.
Leslie-6:40 something. One of two women riding the marathon event. Only female SS. Very impressive, as usual.
Me- .4 seconds behind Leslie
Lexi-Not sure of her time but she had the fastest time over all sport women in the 28 mile race. That's right, ALL. This is a girl who has been riding for less than a year and only recently got her monkey built up. Did I mention she's rocking the rigid fork? Lex, I'm super proud of you.
Other monkey guy-Not really sure, he fell back a little about halfway through and I lost track of him.

So, things learned today:
Dt swiss ss hubs are where it's at. No more kings for me. These babys are fantastic.
Mike and Ikes make great comfort food on a longish ride.
Carbon is a bad material for a seat post clamp.
My next car will be a honda element.
More ssers need to start showing up to the longer events.
My strong still rocks.
Super light SRAM chains may not be the best idea for extended ssing.
The niner in one nice ride.

That's about it. Did I miss any of you? Did anyone ride the sport or expert cross country events while I was out on the course?

Padre I wish you could have been there. Why can't they hold these things on saturday?

B

·
Recovering Weight Weenie
8,821 Posts
donkey said:
Padre I wish you could have been there. Why can't they hold these things on saturday?
B
No kidding dude....I wished I could have been there to hand you a Michelob Ultra at every lap.....
Over the course of the day you would have consumed....
70 ounces of beer
.0000000000005% of which would be alcohol
34 carbs
I wonder how many carbs are in the Mike and Ike's?

Oh yes....
so it's the carbon clamp you're against right? not the post?
i'm thinking Syntace carbon post on Leslie's 9er....
also, we have 2 Salsa Pro-Moto's on order..should be nice....then again...not sure that we'll be in as dire a need of them since her new Reba won't have the travel set at 4", 3" instead....
oh yes..another survey question for you....nevermind...i'll email you...

·
giddy up!
3,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Padre said:
No kidding dude....I wished I could have been there to hand you a Michelob Ultra at every lap.....
Over the course of the day you would have consumed....
70 ounces of beer
.0000000000005% of which would be alcohol
34 carbs
I wonder how many carbs are in the Mike and Ike's?

Oh yes....
so it's the carbon clamp you're against right? not the post?
i'm thinking Syntace carbon post on Leslie's 9er....
also, we have 2 Salsa Pro-Moto's on order..should be nice....then again...not sure that we'll be in as dire a need of them since her new Reba won't have the travel set at 4", 3" instead....
oh yes..another survey question for you....nevermind...i'll email you...
Yeah, the clamp itself is no bueno. Tightened down all the way and it still wont hold a post...weird, it worked great until now? I'm pretty sure there is some cracking going on somewhere in there.

As for posts...if you want light weight and carbon I say go with a control tech post....I should be able to get a good deal on one.

B

·
Registered
167 Posts
I saw Leslie on the course a few times, she was one of three KM's there and I cheered her on a bit while riding by.

I saw the Strong 29er, where you one of the warrior society riders or where you the two in the blue and white jerseys chatting near the water station during sport awards? If you were, I was the guy with the crazy tanlines and cut off sleeve shirt. You may have noticed me standing on the podium sheepishly while the tent blew away!

I took "first" in SS short track...mainly because no one else showed up, WTF guys?!!?! I was forced to ride with the pros, who promptly dropped me after I tried hanging for the first two laps.

Today I took 3rd in the XC. It was a rad course, though the stutter bumps were killing me on the rigid and some people really need to learn race etiquette. I'll be back again next year, probably racing DH too, possibly with a suspension fork.

It was a damn fun weekend.

The Ito

·
giddy up!
3,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Nice, you'll have to stop and say hey next time!

That was Lexi that you saw...tearing it up on the green geared monkey. Leslie was riding the neon orange niner:)

The course was awesome, I had a blast.

Glad you were out there...what were you riding?

B

Oh, I was riding in the warriors jersey...there were two of us(excluding Leslie).....I was the one without a moustache:) At the awards I was wearing camoflage shorts.

B

·
giddy up!
3,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
lanpope said:
Come on guys...you know the word...let's say it together...1...2...3...MOOTS

(I bet Donkey needs no convincing)

LP
Yep, no convincing needed over here! I love the post oon my moots....best post I ever owned.

If they made them in a 31.6 it'd be a great match for the niner....a shim perhaps?

B

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
Niners require a 410mm seatpost, Moots doesn't make them that long, do they?
If they made a longer 27.2, they'd find customers for it, for sure.

·
Squalor
1,573 Posts
donkey said:
Yep, no convincing needed over here! I love the post oon my moots....best post I ever owned.

If they made them in a 31.6 it'd be a great match for the niner....a shim perhaps?

B
Yep shim it. That is what I am doing on me IF and it has worked out great. i have the 27.2 post in there. I think the shim is made by problem solvers. I got it through QBP.

LP

·
Registered
167 Posts
donkey said:
Nice, you'll have to stop and say hey next time!

That was Lexi that you saw...tearing it up on the green geared monkey. Leslie was riding the neon orange niner:)

The course was awesome, I had a blast.

Glad you were out there...what were you riding?

B

Oh, I was riding in the warriors jersey...there were two of us(excluding Leslie).....I was the one without a moustache:) At the awards I was wearing camoflage shorts.

B
Ok, I saw you go up for that. I was on an SS karate monkey, killer bike :)

The Ito

·
Bored
1,982 Posts
donkey said:

Roughly 4 miles from the finish some kind soul handed me an ice cold low carb beer of some sort...nice work, very refreshing.
American Beer must be pretty weak if you can drink one during a lap!!! :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.