Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
looking for a tire recommendation to lighten my load and decrease rolling resistance for an upcoming race

I'm participating in a multi-sport endurance event that ends with 40 mile ride on (pavement and fireroad). The ride consists of 30 miles on pavement (mostly descending) with a 10 mile climb on fireroad with a little descending. I'm planning on riding my nomadC and currently running 2.3 maxis minions tubeless.

given the majority of descending is on payment and I know nada about cross country style tires any recommendations are appreciated

also I probably won't be riding this much outside of this race so would rather not spend to much.

thx!

·
Registered
149 Posts
For tubeless or clincher I'd go with the exceptionally low rolling resistance and low weight of Schwalbe Furious Freds. WTB Nanos may be alittle less desirable but also less dineiro. The idea is to prescribe an almost slick tire with SOME side knobs in case you absolutely require them, if off camber on the few non-road surfaces you'll face. If I was on road only surfaces I'd run MAX PSI, if I were on 80% paved, I'd run 80% MAX PSI on an 80% slick; hence the Furious Fred. I'd cater to the 80-90% and go major high PSI with mega low tread and slick down the center. If they do not set rules in regards to tire width, use a 32-40 X 700c foldable WTB Nano or lightweight hybrid/cyclocross tire if you ride a 29er. It will be fast!! Hope this helps. Let me know

1 - 2 of 2 Posts