Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
.WestCoastHucker. said:
why don't you tell us what you think........
I have a med Heckler with the Firefly and I just picked the bike up and I thought I got a large frame by mistake. I like to have at least 1 inch between me and the bike when I stand over it but now I have no clearence.and my sales person says it could be the fork.

·
SamIAm
2,038 Posts
ummm...

doesnt the firefly have that adjustible height thingy? and anyways i dont think that should be a prob unless you can stay on the bike or it is too choppered. but i would gladly buy that firefly from you for 100 dollars.

·
Pro Crastinator
11,778 Posts
Decapatator said:
Thanks for the jokes, what made me think I could find help on a MTB forum.
that's what you get for asking us for your opinion..........

seeing as how "bike feel" is all a matter of personal preference

·
Registered
192 Posts
I would say no...

...one local LBS has a medium Heckler with a Maverick fork on it...it is a bit tall but I do not believe it to be excessive.

How tall are you ? I know that I have a real problem fitting SC's in general. The small in most models is just a bit small for me but the medium is right at the limit for what I would consider optimum for DJ/FR.

I am 5'6" with a long-ish inseam for my height.

·
noMAD man
12,220 Posts
Heckler and Firefly good combo.

Decapatator said:
Would a 130mm Firefly be a tall fork for a med Heckler??
The Last Comic Standing humor aside, a fellow mechanic at the shop has a Firefly on his Heckler, and it works great. In fact he swapped out a Fox 125RLC to get a little taller axle to crown height to get the bike's geometry to better suit his needs. If you're a hardcore XC guy who likes ultra steep, sharp steering, then maybe the Firefly won't be suitable. Since you got a Heckler, however, I doubt you're an XC fiend. As to the size of the frame, I wouldn't go to a short fork to correct that standover height. A couple of serious endos in rough terrain might show you why that's not a good idea.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everyone, this information helped alot. The is my first suspension bike and a better understanding of the fork cleared everything up. Im 5'10" with a 29" inseam so with the fork opened all the why there was no room to spare on the standover, by just locking the fork down it gave me a much better standover. And as my shop said I will be glad I kept the fork and have more travel down the road as my skills get better.
Thanks.

·
USB Rep'n
2,413 Posts
If the fork is taking away all lof your standover, you bought a bike that's too big for you. Dude, its a Heckler not some Ti race hardtail screaming for a SID noodle. The bike can handle that fork fine, buy a smaller bike and keep the Firefly, they rock.

·
USB Rep'n
2,413 Posts
.WestCoastHucker. said:
why don't you tell us what you think........
quite the wisenheimer since getting booted aren't we? You might need some east coast attitude adjustment! :D

·
Registered
112 Posts
Short legs... long torso

Decapatator said:
Thanks everyone, this information helped alot. The is my first suspension bike and a better understanding of the fork cleared everything up. Im 5'10" with a 29" inseam so with the fork opened all the why there was no room to spare on the standover, by just locking the fork down it gave me a much better standover. And as my shop said I will be glad I kept the fork and have more travel down the road as my skills get better.
Thanks.
You've got short legs ... but besides that standover isn't the way to fit a bike .

If you really don't like the lack of standover try a different frame. With your body size you're either going to be tight on the cockpit size or tight on the standover.

Santa Cruz frames run short in the TTs which is a bad fit for a long torso rider who wants good standover.

There are other makers that have longer TT frames. Sounds like you are new to MTB frame sizing so you probably should look around and try some different frames before spend $2.5k on a Heckler that might not fit.

A couple makers that come to mind are Gary Fisher and Ellsworth. IMO the Heckler is a great bike, but for your size the fit isn't ideal because of the TT being on the short side, but this is only one opinion about a very subjective issue.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
rprice said:
You've got short legs ... but besides that standover isn't the way to fit a bike .

If you really don't like the lack of standover try a different frame. With your body size you're either going to be tight on the cockpit size or tight on the standover.

Santa Cruz frames run short in the TTs which is a bad fit for a long torso rider who wants good standover.

There are other makers that have longer TT frames. Sounds like you are new to MTB frame sizing so you probably should look around and try some different frames before spend $2.5k on a Heckler that might not fit.

A couple makers that come to mind are Gary Fisher and Ellsworth. IMO the Heckler is a great bike, but for your size the fit isn't ideal because of the TT being on the short side, but this is only one opinion about a very subjective issue.
Thanks for the advice yes you are right I am new to MTB frame sizing , the last time I bought a mtb they all had a straight top tube :D That tells you how long it has been. As for the Heckler I am the proud owner so no turning back now. Of all the shops around me no one had a med for me to try on, riding with the firefly locked down made all the difference for me and when I hit some single tracks I will open up the fork and that should work fine.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts