Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone run a firefly on a VT2. How did it work? Was it too tall. How much taller would a firefly put the front end on a 18.5 vt as opposed to a minute 1?

·
Registered
36 Posts
own154 said:
Has anyone run a firefly on a VT2. How did it work? Was it too tall. How much taller would a firefly put the front end on a 18.5 vt as opposed to a minute 1?

I'm running a' 04 Sherman Flick (130 mm) on an 18.5 '04 VT2, ride on technical trails (Morman National in Phoenix). I'm 5'10" 175 and It feels about right, with the seatpost up where I need it the weight distribution is about right. The steering is a little slower than I'd like, but I'm mainly an XC guy.

If you are talking about an 05 firefly plus I'd be a little leary, The extra 20MM of travel could make it un-managable. This would be especially true if you were much shorter than I am , and had your seat post lower, you weight distribution would be AFU, and the front end too light.

P.S. I run the rear in 5.7 mode.

Hope this helps,

Mike

·
Hard as nails
1,008 Posts
I ride..

an 04' VT2 with an 04 Firefly with the improved damper (evolve vs std SPV - much more active!) I also run it with a Swinger 4wat coil. I ride mostly agressive terrain and damble in some freeridig from time to time. The largest drop was a 12 footer to a tranny. The bike handle nice with the firefly, very STIFF and forgiving. I feel safe! It does drop to 90mm for the long climbs, but have yet to really ned to do so.
Albeit, I did just send get the frame warrantied since I discovered a hairline crack on the triangle link mounting spot (on the weld). I will say the VT is a strong bike but certainly has its limitations. I say, go for it! Ride - Be Happy!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts