Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Aspen said:
Does anyone know how much of the 25 mile loop is singletrack and/or technical?
I would guess about 7-10 miles of the 25 mile loop is singletrack. As far as technical ability goes....there are a few descents and climbs that have some rocky bits. But, in reality, it is not as bad as it could be for CO riding. This course is great for a hardtail with some high volume tires. This year, the course could be a bit rougher due to the massive snow melt going on. Guess time will tell, as the weather out here the past 2 weeks as been 85-90 degrees.

Here is another Firecracker 50 link with some BETA....
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=426105

·
feel the Force
546 Posts
The Course is in awesome shape! Westy has been out there almost everyday doing all kinds of maintenence. I rode it on Saturday. Everything was rideable. Nightmare on Baldy was sketchy as always, but not technical, just loose. Same with the descent down from Lincoln Meadow. It was also fairly dry. There were the typical wet spots, like above Iowa Mill, the creek crossings on Little French, and a couple of muddy spots in Lincoln Meadow, but other than those typical spots it's pretty dry.

·
Registered
5,577 Posts
One thing to think about; there is pretty much no singletrack climbing - all the climbs are either easy dirt roads, steep technical or steep but not technical jeep trail. I suppose the tank trail gains elevation, but it rolls up gradually and there are a lot of places to pass. All the rest of the single track is either flat (the flume trail) or descending (Barny Ford/Moonstone and the single track section going back down to Lincoln park) The Moonstone trail just above the finish has the most technical singletrack on the whole loop - it's rocky rooty and tight in places, but not in a sketchy kind of way, you just have to pay attention.

Overall, although it does have some technical spots, most would not consider it a particularly technical loop,

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.