Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to be in the area(coming from Jersey) right around the time of the F50. I'd really like to give it a shot since I've been loving the NUE stuff. How's the course? I know I won't be there long enough to really get used to the altitude but I may just do it anyway.

·
deez nuts
228 Posts
You should definitely do it. The course is really fun with some great singletrack and killer scenery/ views. The hole vibe is really cool from the parade start to the BBQ/ brews at the finish. It would be one of the coolest races you have ever done.

www.mavsports.com to register

·
feel the Force
546 Posts
jimmy said:
The Laramie Enduro, or the Silver Rush 50, for example? I've never done it. Considering it.
Harder than Laramie and Silver Rush. The climbing feels about the same as the Silver Rush, but it's looser, rougher, rockier. Everyone just kills the first lap, then suffers on the second. It's very common to see second lap splits 30 to 60 minutes slower than the first lap. That being said, it's still one of the best events on the CO calendar. The parade start is pretty cool. This year might be pretty wet with run-off, too. Probably will make times a little slower than previous years. Super good support. Hand ups 4 or 5 times per lap! Definitely do it!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Go for it

I can fill in behind Jeff as I've done all three. Firecracker is- in my most unhumble opinion- the hardest of the three. The course is busy. You are either going up or down and the pace tends to be large. If you hit the search function in this forum you'll see some debate as to how accurate the total feet of climbing is. I tend to agree it is a little less than is posted but I do assure you it will feel every bit that much. Add to the number of people who think they are going to win a jersey for their efforts and who rip the first lap like there is no tomorrow. Not to go too Colorado on you- because too many of us make to big a deal about it- but the altitude is a real factor for many.

The vibe is great and on of the highlights of my season. You'll see few races with that many people cheering you on at the start. The organization tends to be top notch. I promise you'll feel like you did something at the finish.

My only other warning is take littering warnings seriously. If they could torture you for littering they would!

·
Too busy looking good
361 Posts
Do it - and you must accept the whiskey shot that you'll be offered on the climb up Boreas Pass road on the second lap.

This was the first race I ever entered back in 2006, and I'll be in it for a 3rd time this year. As mentioned above, the whole vibe is great. It's an awesome race, and a fast 50 miles with a lot of climbing is a great way to start endurance race season.

·
Registered
5,577 Posts
This year will be wet in places! Little French will definitely have to be shoveled and the rest of the higher and north facing, shady parts of the course have only just become passable. Even if there is no snow on the course, there will still be a lot of snow melt coming from above. The organizers usually do some drainage mitigation of the really wet parts, but no matter what, there will be some muddy parts. Little French will be wet, but it's so rocky there will be comparatively little mud.
Of course the fun thing about it is that these last couple weeks of June have been really dry so where the snow has been melted off for awhile, it is actually quite dusty.

·
giggling bastard
26 Posts
I just tried to ride up in Little French on Saturday (first time) and it was still deep snow up there. I didn't know where the trail was to descend on, but it looked to me like there was too much snow for me to get high enough up the gulch to find the flume trail descent. I was trying to ride this as a recon for the races on July 19 that use some of the same trails.
Anyone have any advice about how to make a loop out of the trail up in Little French Gulch, or was I just too far/not far enough up?

·
Registered
5,577 Posts
johnnyd said:
I just tried to ride up in Little French on Saturday (first time) and it was still deep snow up there. I didn't know where the trail was to descend on, but it looked to me like there was too much snow for me to get high enough up the gulch to find the flume trail descent. I was trying to ride this as a recon for the races on July 19 that use some of the same trails.
Anyone have any advice about how to make a loop out of the trail up in Little French Gulch, or was I just too far/not far enough up?
The organizers hired someone to clear the road with a bobcat and they where supposed to be working on it today. Yes, though, you have to go fairly high, I think the flume trail crossing is at about 11,300' There was a fair amount of snow at the very top of the flume that might require shoveling but it will probably be best to see how it melts out over the next several days.

·
giddy up
275 Posts
I've done the Cracker 4 or 5 times and the Silver Rush once. First off the the Silver Rush course completely sucks. They run you through cow trails and fire roads. Not a whole lot of single track. With that said I also think the Silver rush is harder. The Cracker is of course hard as hell but the course is 5 star all the way. This makes the difficulty of the climbing tolerable. The cracker costs like 65 bucks and you get socks, t-shirt, 4 aid stations per lap and beer and food at the end. They put on a great event. You will not be dissapointed.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Awesome! It's sounding better and better. Looks like I'll be there. My bro is all psyched up and we'll be drivin up from Durango. I get to CO on the 1st and shortly after we'll be rolling up. Are there festivities in the town that weekend? We might hang for the weekend if so.

·
SS Chimp
525 Posts
what the hell..

I will chime in as well.

Laramie --> ask me after it is over this year as I have not done it

Silver Rush --> Harder depends on how you feel that day. I have had some really good SR's and 1 really bad SR.
papawheelie said:
First off the the Silver Rush course completely sucks.
Super stoked to know there will be one less person at the SR this year. 300+ people each year tend to indicate your opinion is not universal. Not a lot of trail is true but the scenery is way better than the Firecracker.

Firecracker --> Same as above. I actually find the Firecracker course a bit less agreeable for a race than the SR course. Both have their good and not so good. If I want to ride killer single track I typically don't head to a race to find it.

Over all I would say they are comparable in difficulty. If you think one harder go slower and if the other is eaiser go faster :) Both are ~6800 ft of climbing.

·
Old, stale, negative
800 Posts
I was only able to pull one lap in 05 on a 34x25. Just didn't think the 2nd lap was a good idea since I had to drive home to Boulder. This time I have a 32x25 on a 9er and a condo for the weekend. Just trying to survive, not race. I'm hoping for 6 hours and not dying. Good luck on that tough guy gear, I'm glad it's you not me. I saw a guy killing it on a 32x16 the year I sh!t the bed. I sukk!Let's hope for very little snow at the top and that we all have the time of our lives. Cheers.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Tires

First time doing the Firecracker. Anyone have tire recommendations?

I don't think it will be as loose as here in the Springs, but still rocky, etc. What are people having luck with?

Thanks in advance.

DG

·
Registered
302 Posts
I rode Little French, the highest part of the course, this am. You ride through some snow patches, but it is mostly clear. The last 200yds will be dug out by the promoter the next few days. Should be a great time.

Even with all of the snow this winter and spring, it is VERY DRY on the trails now. Think ball bearings. So I'd say whatever tires you run, run some low pressure to help your traction. I have Larsen TT USTs on my race bike and they're pretty predictable.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.