Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I have the other post about coming out for 2 weeks and requesting riding suggestions. I noticed that the marathon nationals are going to be at Breck while I'm out there. This seems like a GREAT opportunity. How is this race? I think it would be fun to really open up the legs and give it a shot. Especially coming from sea level. Whatcha think?

·
I'm how far behind?
571 Posts
Might try the Front Range Forum

For some reason, Summit County is in the Front Range Forum, even though it is west of the continental divide. The folks who put on this race monitor that forum pretty regularly.

The race is one of the premier courses in Colorado, IMO. You can't beat the start, it is a full on 4th of July parade. Fun time, pretty cheap.

As far as coming from sea level, there are two schools of thought. One is get there a week or two early and try to acclimatize or just show up for the race with no acclimatization. You will be hurting either way. I live at 8900' so I don't get to worried, most of the races I do I'm going down in elevation.

Bottom line, I would recommend giving it a go, it is a great race.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Yes it is a great event and well worth racing in if you are going to be here.
And Soloracer is right, its hard regardless if you are acclimated to the altitude, so why not give it a go - if you are dying after the first 25mi loop you can alway bow out and at least say you tried.. If you are in great shape then finishing shouldnt be an issue.

On top of the race there is a lot of fun things to do that go along with the weekend..

·
Registered
5,577 Posts
The course was designed to not be too hard, at least by Breckenridge standards. There is only one really difficult sustained climb per lap - everything else is either short or very gradual. That's not to say it's an easy loop, all the little climbs add up and some of the descents are fairly technical, but fast guys average over 12 mph so it isn't that steep or technical for the most part.

As far as altitude goes, everyone is different. if your body does well at altitude, you might only need four or five days to adjust. If not, well, then you'll suffer.

Have fun if you decide to do it!

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sweet sounds like fun! I've never had any issues with altitude so I'm not too worried. I do feel that I need to breathe harder so it's gonna hurt. It'll hurt regardless I'm sure. I'd love to give it a go. There's one problem though - I'm stubborn. If I start the race I'm going to finish - unless I physically can't move any more. So that should be fun..

·
Registered
25 Posts
XC62701 said:
Sweet sounds like fun! I've never had any issues with altitude so I'm not too worried. I do feel that I need to breathe harder so it's gonna hurt. It'll hurt regardless I'm sure. I'd love to give it a go. There's one problem though - I'm stubborn. If I start the race I'm going to finish - unless I physically can't move any more. So that should be fun..
The only reason I made the finish comment was because on the first lap a whole lot of folks go all out - and then by lap two you pass them as they struggle to keep the legs moving and are fighting off hammy cramps

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yea I can imagine how people lose it on the 2nd lap. I'll have to see how well I can manage the pain. It looks as if I've got the green light for this one. My bro is all psyched up and we'll be drivin up from Durango. I get to CO on the 1st and shortly after we'll be rolling up. Are there festivities in the town that weekend? We might hang for the weekend if so.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.