Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning on riding in the B63 race in Breckenridge this weekend (that's the 100K version of the Breck 100 miler). Having just done the Firecracker 50 a couple of weeks ago, I'm trying to get a feel for how they compare and what I'll need for the B63 (no Aid stations on the loops).

I'm still relatively new at this, so I'm certainly not setting any records. I'm mostly in it just to race against myself. For instance, my time in the Firecracker was about 7:15 (yeah, over 7 hours :^( 3 hours for lap 1, then 4:15 for lap 2. I think I had some issues with pacing and fueling (and have plans to address that). Hopefully things will go better this weekend.

Can anybody who has done both comment on the differences/similarities between the races? With better pacing and fueling, I'm hoping I can average a little better than the 6.9mph I managed for the Firecracker (I'd be pretty happy with 7-7.5mph). Assuming 7 mph, that'd mean about 3:30 for the first 23 mile loop and about 4:30 for the second 32 mile loop. BTW, anybody know where the extra 8 miles (to make 63) comes in?

Do those times sound at all realistic, given my Firecracker time? Is the B63 course significantly harder (and slower)?

TIA.

-Darrin

·
Registered
5,577 Posts
Well, I designed both the Firecracker and the B100 courses and they are vastly different. The B100 loops are longer, have more cimbing, have more technical sections and are at higher altitude.

Thane has changed the first loop and instead of heading down to Copper from the top of Wheeler pass, it will decend the Wheeler,, to the miners creek trail (Colorado trail) which is about 2/3 of the way down to Copper and climb up to the crest of the Ten mile range at over 12,000' and meander along for something like a mile then drop a very steep ( I once did the most perfect over the handlbars and land on my feet in the only place that I could have without doing serious hurt to myself on that trail) and rocky section to the peaks trail. This will make the loop shorter, but much harder as there is a fair amount of pushing to get from the Wheeler trail to the crest of the Ten Mile. It's basicly the course of the Breck Crest trail Marathon running race.
Personaly I think it's a bit much, but maybe folks will really like it. It's a beautiful ride, I'm just not sure what kind of race course it will make. I suppoe there is something to be said for cutting out the 5 miles of paved bike path though, I didn't really like having to use that even though it's all downhill and goes really fast.
The second loop has a ton of great mostly non-technical single track using parts of the firecracker course and about 7 miles of the Colorado trail. It has lots of ups and downs that add up.
Since the only support (unless you arrange your own out on course) is at the start/finish of the loops, you will need to carry the same amount of stuff you would normally carry for a 30-35 mile ride and re-supply at the start of each loop. I'd think 100oz of fluid and plenty of gels and a couple of bars per lap as well as eating the provided food should get you through.
So be prepared for a much more challenging experience and have fun!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.