Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm looking to buy a Firebird and have seen some discrepencies in pics between large, medium and small frames. Specifically the weld between the top and down tube near the head set.

On the Pivot website, they're selling demo bikes. The medium has a weld in this spot, but the large doesn't. However, there's 2009 Firebird onEbay right now that the owner swears it's a medium, but there's no weld there - a gap like the large frame - could this be because the demos are pre-production?

Can someone set me straight. Thanks!

·
sit! stay!
1,125 Posts
you bring up a very good point...

would it be all that difficult for Pivot to at least have a link with a side shot of each size frame on their web site (hint)? i mean, you'd think thet'd wanna show off how nice each one looks... :thumbsup:

·
Are you talkin to me?
34 Posts
Med Firebird

Your right about the top tube and the down tube touching on the DEMO bikes on the website.
They are probably early production models. The current frame looks like the picture in the "BIKE" category of the web page. The one on e-bay is a current model also.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just Ride More said:
Your right about the top tube and the down tube touching on the DEMO bikes on the website.
They are probably early production models. The current frame looks like the picture in the "BIKE" category of the web page. The one on e-bay is a current model also.
Hope this helps.
Thanks a bunch! I think that bike on Ebay is a pretty good deal. Not sure on those wheels though, but MTBR reviews them pretty high.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Same thing on the Mach 5. The medium demo that they are selling has no gap where the down tube and top tube connect to the head tube, but on the current models there is a significant gap.

The website also shows the head tube on the medium Mach 5 being 4.2" where the current Mach 5s in medium have head tubes closer to 4.7" The .5" difference is approximately the distance of the gap between the down tube and top tube.

Looks like Pivot just decided to increase the height of the head tube on some of their bikes. Not sure if this was done on other sizes than medium or on the Mach 4s or 429s.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts