Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning on buying either an Ibis Mojo HD, a Firebird, a Nomad, or even hold on untill spring 2011 to get the RFX.

There are some issues i've got deciding wich one, where price is not, but design, since most of em' have a weak point.

The HD goes as the strongest candidate, but I still doubt it as a climber.
The Firebird seems to be not so light as the HD and not as plush and "longer travel feeling", also it ain't got an adjustable seatpost cable guide, lever Joplin is not good. :(
The Nomad has the doubtable VPP, wich i've actually ridden, and felt good, since my only experiences with full suspension were single-pivot and Horst link, I'm not really looking on my expirience the VPP as an inferior system, anyway, physics and costumer feedback go for the DW link... I guess the Nomad's Issue is solved with a fine tuned coil, but... does anyone really know if it fixes the Nomad's bad small bump and kickback feeling?. The falling rate is a pain.

On the RFX stands a whole mystery, since the geometry is kinda discouraging and so it is the possible weight.

The reason of this thread is that on Mexico it's impossible to test the DW link bikes, there's no dealer and bad customer service would not allow to demo anyway. I'm meaning to buy it in the states, but need to choose carefully.

That's why I'm relying on your feedback, since on the reviews most of people sticks with the reviewed bike and say: Yeah, best ride ever, etc. Wich doesn't really help, and I haven't been able to find a thread confronting this bikes.

Thanks.

·
Registered
6,656 Posts
I have a Nomad2 and a Firebird and I like them both for different reasons. I'm not sure if you are referring to the Nomad1 or Nomad2 in your post, but it sure sounds like N1. The N2 works great with the DHX-air. I'm also not sure where you got the not so plush idea from for the Firebird. Maybe someone that rode it with an RP23? That would be my guess.

I want to like the Mojo HD but it doesn't have ISCG tabs which are a huge negative to me and compared to both the N2 and the FB, the links sure are small looking AND the head tube is tapered which is a minus in my book . I don't run the HammerSchmidt but if I want to.... also running an ISCG stinger is so nice on both the N2 and the FB.

IMO, it's a real toss up between the FB and the Nomad. I'd say the 'mad leans a little more toward XC and the 'bird leans more toward DH/FR stuff although it's really tough to say that because the 'bird climbs so darn well, even with a coil shock.

Last - maybe I'm wrong but I thought the FB has seatpost cable guides?

·
T.W.O.
8,168 Posts
Mojo HD would climb as well if not better because of lighter weight(depending on the build of course) Firebird is a great all around bike, climb well and descend like a mad man. Don't hold your breath on 2011 RFX at best 2012, by that time who knows.

I've been debating for the longest time between HD and FB and just order the white HD. If I had room for 2 more bike I'd order FB as well.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmm. If it has them, i've never seen them being used.
The other negative spot on the Firebird is that i actually doubt ther size avilability, you see, the page's got XL geo, but Speedgoat doesn't have it. So, it remains as a mystery if the size really exists.
Im 6'3 tall.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm to doubt about the cable stops, also I've seen the issue with sizes, I'm 6'3 and Pivot offers XL but dealers don't, at least speedgoat. :S

·
sit! stay!
1,125 Posts
Jack al said:
also it ain't got an adjustable seatpost cable guide, lever Joplin is not good. :(
There is an extra set of guides under the TT... (i.e. three sets under the TT and one under the DT)...

i use a GD with the cable pointing forward so i don't even use the third set for my adjustable seat post... on my latest build i zip tied the seat tube cable to the others before they go into the first set of guides...

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
gticlay said:
IMO, it's a real toss up between the FB and the Nomad. I'd say the 'mad leans a little more toward XC and the 'bird leans more toward DH/FR stuff although it's really tough to say that because the 'bird climbs so darn well, even with a coil shock.
I would have gone the other way. The Nomad feels pretty burly and the Firebird feels more refined. I think they cna both handle about the same amount of punishment.

Firebird for me! :thumbsup:

And what I said in your Turner thread...

I favour the Firebird. Mine has 3 cable guides under the top tube, one for the rear derailleur, rear brake and I assumed adjustable seat post. Front derailleur under the down tube. Weight isn't an issue. I loved the DHX Air on the Firebird and thought it was plush enough. Now I'm running a CCDB on it and it's even better.

I loved my first gen Nomad but don't like the new VPP2 version as much. Small bump compliance isn't as good as the Firebird with a DHX Air or the CCDB. I didn't find the CCDB to make any significant difference with VPP2 compared to a DHX coil.

I can't comment on the HD, but carbon isn't something I want in an AM frame.

The geometries seem to be pretty different for the RFX to the Firebird. I think the Firebird is the bike the RFX will have to beat when it is released.

·
I am Doctor Remulak
1,421 Posts
Jack al said:
The other negative spot on the Firebird is that i actually doubt ther size avilability, you see, the page's got XL geo, but Speedgoat doesn't have it. So, it remains as a mystery if the size really exists.
Im 6'3 tall.
XL Firebird frames exist & we may have some in the building right now. I know I saw a XL Firebird come off the demo truck yesterday.

·
Pivotal figure
6,361 Posts
XL's have been available for a few months now...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts