Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Stucco Bucket
1,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched but didnt find any solid answers.
Specifically looking at a fat albert 2.4.
Whats the biggest I can get back there? I dont ever ride mud.

thanks
A

·
Pivotal figure
6,361 Posts
I've run 2.5 Maxxis and Kenda tires with no issues, not sure about a 2.7 or bigger though. Fat Albert should be fine..

·
Registered
292 Posts
Big Betty's are wider and I run them with no problems. I gotta say that I really like the new TrailStar compound as it seems to really hook up well.

[Edit to add photo of FB rear end]

Plenty of room back there based on this rear view.

Attachments

·
Pivotal figure
6,361 Posts
I don't know if we have any extra kits but it never hurts to ask. If enough people ask for it we'd probably get some sets in for that extra bit of customization :yesnod:

·
trail "cleaner"
1,382 Posts
Kenda Kinetics... 2.6"

I've got a 2.6" Kenda Kinetics sticky rubber mounted on a Mavic 819. Loads of room in the seat and chainstays:thumbsup:

·
Appalachian Singletrack'n
1,444 Posts
I've put 2.5 Chunders and 2.7 minions in my frame just to see if they fit and they cleared with no problem. I've also ridden in thick mud with some 2.3 Syncros tires that packed up so they wouldnt even turn through my Lyric but had no problem in the frame. That muddy ride tought me the firebird is the hardest to clean frame I have ever owned.

·
Registered
862 Posts
I don't know about the biggest possible, but I run an FA 2.4 and there's plenty of room left over. It has about 1/2 inch of clearance on the sides and the top.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts