Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, fireworks are over so thought I'd throw some of my thoughts up on the Lyrik. First, I'm still loving the extra 10mm of travel - about 1/2". That might not sound like a lot, but it makes a difference. My bars are closer to the frame by 10mm as well so the riding position is exactly the same as before. Just the BB is slightly up and the HTA is ever so slightly more slack.

Geometry wise the bike 'feels' how I want it to. I've always liked a little more slack bike and I don't want people to think the bike is too steep with a 160 fork. Back when longer travel trail bikes were just becoming popular I was riding something that had 100mm out back and was designed for a 100mm fork. So I slapped the then brand new Psylo 125mm fork on it. I mostly mention that because the Psylo was the last Rock Shox fork I've ridden - and that I obviously like a slacker than normal bike. I hate it when the wheel starts feeling floppy so it can be over done as well. Just think of me as a picky SOB.

Anyway, the bike steers like a champ and it climbs exactly like it did before since I removed 10mm of spacers.

One negative thing I did notice is that it's more difficult to ride skinny's. And by skinny, I mean logs, not 2x4's - those are just too skinny for me.

Ok - about the fork. Let me start out by saying this fork needed some genuine break in time. In my experience, Marzocchi and Fox forks ride just like they will always ride after maybe 1 hour of ride time. The Lyrik took at least a good 5-6 hours. There's still a little bit of red goo coming out and leaving a little bit of dirty stuff at top out so they must have put plenty of grease/fluid in my shock. Some people complain that Fox or RS come bone dry - I've never had that happen and this one was no exception.

The chart on the air side says I need "85+ psi" in my fork. I don't know who made that chart up, but I guess if I wanted zero sag and a telephone pole for a fork I would put 85psi in there :lol: I'm running 70 and while I don't think it's sagged as much as they say, any less it feels too soft. At first, the fork was so stiff that playing with the LSC knob didn't do anything. As the fork broke in, I kept turning it down another click. I don't like to 'count clicks' when I'm setting my bike up - I much prefer to ride a trail a few times, try to pay attention to where it's lacking and do a little click here and a little click there. So I think I've settled on what I like.... which ended up being 7 clicks from open on the HSC and 4 clicks from open on the LSC. I keep going back and forth between 7 and 8 clicks on the HSC but even when I screw something up it doesn't really bottom harshly or anything.

What's weird about the fork is that it isn't very sensitive to small bumps when riding a flat trail at 'pedal' speed - the odd rock sticking up or 2" root just isn't soaked up like with a Fox damper. I guess that's why I'm down to 4 clicks on LSC and 70psi. I can't really go any lighter because then it starts to dive a bit in the corners. It's not horrible, but it's no Float 36 on the small stuff either. You cannot feel that stuff at all when you are going a little faster and the HSC opens up.

What I really like is how it transitions from LSC to HSC - seamless. I never bottom harshly yet I'm using all of the travel every ride. A lot of people bag on the DHX-air on MTBR (I think because they haven't set it up very well) but I think I would compare how that shock feels on the 'bird to the Lyrik - you use a fair amount of travel on medium hits but if it's dialed in well, nothing harsh on bigger hits while still using all the travel.

If the Float or TALAS 180 feels anything like the shorter 160 forks, I think the ticket would be one of those with a low stack headset or limited to 170. I really like the dampers on the 160 Float's (with the high volume mod to the air spring....).

·
Registered
984 Posts
Nice overview!

I also have the Lyrik DH on the Firebird.

I really like the fork.

Did notice that it slacked it out, no difference in BB Height when I measured it.

I have 55psi which gives ~ 23%sag, I weigh 150lbs.

I find the LSC and HSC to be great!

I find the fork to be stiff enough for me.

I've pointed it down stuff and so long as I go with faith its all good!

I'm going to get the fork serviced next week since I think it might be a bit dry. Ride it for awhile then put on a Fox 160 TALAS and see how that does.

Really likin' the fork though!

·
Registered
6,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Brodiegrrl said:
Nice overview!

I also have the Lyrik DH on the Firebird.

I really like the fork.

Did notice that it slacked it out, no difference in BB Height when I measured it.

I have 55psi which gives ~ 23%sag, I weigh 150lbs.

I find the LSC and HSC to be great!

I find the fork to be stiff enough for me.

I've pointed it down stuff and so long as I go with faith its all good!

I'm going to get the fork serviced next week since I think it might be a bit dry. Ride it for awhile then put on a Fox 160 TALAS and see how that does.

Really likin' the fork though!
I changed the oil bath in mine early. It was super duper easy. Pull on the rebound knob till it comes off, remove the two nuts on the bottom, wipe off stuff, put a little bit of grease on the upper seals, reassemble with 15 to 17 ml of synthetic motor oil in each leg and it actually felt pretty good - a bit better than before the change. (BTW, Walgreens will give you free 5ml 'baby' syringes so you can fill with confidence) One leg had not much oil in it when I pulled off the legs.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts