Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
ride natty, ride
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey ya'll,
I got my firebird a couple of months ago and have had good results with the stock tire set up (Nev front, small 8 rear). But I was wondering if anyone has had better results with other tire setups? I just mounted up a Dissent 2.5 front, with a Bronson 2.3 rear, but I haven't tried it out yet. Anyone else running a Dissent 2.5 on the front with good results. It feels like it added 5lbs to the weight of the bike, so I'd probably only use it for freeride/dh(ish) territory.

Anyways, just curious what other's are running on their birds.

-Nate

·
ride natty, ride
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What I said was, my FB came stock with a small block 8, but I took it off, replaced it with the WTB Bronson 2.3. It actually worked well in lots of conditions, but I agree, it's appearances lead to a less than optimal impression.

·
Registered
862 Posts
I went with nobby nic 2.4 to start with, they were quite light and good rollers. Then fat albert 2.4, those were probably more grippy and a bit larger. This summer I got a pair of hans dampf, and immediately destroyed the rear in moab - not the best moab tire in retrospect. But the front survived and is super grippy, and to replace the rear I'm running a specialized purgatory 2.4 which is a faster roller than the HD. This combo is pretty great so far.

So if you like a faster roller in the back I'd recommend the purgatory 2.4, or nobby nic if you want a 650g tire. The hans dampf is my current all time favorite front tire now, great for dry colorado conditions at least. It might be great in the wet too, haven't tried it though. It is a slower roller than the NN or the alberts, but that's not such a big deal as a front tire.

·
ride natty, ride
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Right on, I like the idea of a light tire with big gnobs, so maybe I'll check out the nobby nicks. I wish that WTB made their bronson and weirwolf in larger than 2.3, because those tires ran tubeless are perfect for the conditions around where I live.

·
Pivotal figure
6,361 Posts
I've been running a 2.35 Excavator up front and a Small Block 8 in the 2.35 DH casing on back. Fast rolling with surprising grip and I can still plow thru the chunky stuff without worrying. My normal setup has just been Excavators for the last couple of years though; I really like how that tire performs :yesnod:

·
Registered
6,656 Posts
I have a nearly worn flat Muddy Mary out back with a Rubber Queen 2.4 up front. I'll probably put a Hans Dampf out back when the Mary finally wears to the casing :D

I hated the Dissent - horrible traction in all conditions IMO.

·
ZEN RIDER!
950 Posts
I've been running the Specialzed Clutch XL up front & the Eskar 2 in the rear.
Like the Clutch so far, Eskar 2 not so much. Going to try something different, maybe another Clutch or something from Maxxis.
Clutch corners nice & holds a line in the chunk. Rolls well for a FR tire & so far has taken a beating.
Eskar 2 after 3 months isn't holding up at all & the traction is ok going up steeps, but nothing special.

·
Pivotal figure
6,361 Posts
I tried a Slant 6 but the sidewall was too thin for me. I cut it pretty quickly and just swapped back to my normal setup. They do roll super fast though...

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
I second the ardent 2.4 as a front tire. I haven't tried it as a rear tire. The non-UST sets up really easy on a Flow rim with stans. Relatively cheap too. I jus stuck with the nevegal for the rear. Everything else has burped or the sidewalls are done in a month.

·
Stucco Bucket
1,919 Posts
I blew my Nevegals out in Sedona badly. New tires are the Fat Albert 2.4s. I love these tires. the sidewalls handle our rocky terrain and my 200lbs. I run about 32lbs tubeless.
Ill try the Hans Dampfs on my Mojo when the Nobby Nics give out. those tires are too thin for SW terrain.

·
Pivotal figure
6,361 Posts
Last time I checked they didn't make a UST version of the Excavator yet. I run mine tubeless all the time though, both on Mavic 823's (UST rim) and on Stan's Flow rims. The kevlar bead is pretty hard to get sealed up (too porous) but the wire version works fine. Of course the sealant voids any warranty on the tire but I've never had an issue.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts