Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see that the Pana Fire XC Pro gets very good reviews... Are they as good as they say? How are they as a front tire, coupled with Python rear? Weight? I was intrigued because I saw that the kevlar bead version was inexpensive. Are there variations of the Fire Pro XC, besides the size? Any feedback is appreciated....I am still looking for a nice front tire to couple with the Python on a Racer X. . . hardpack, singletrack...some loose soil and sand.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
OOPS...I see that these are pretty HEAVY tires...hmmmmm. Was looking to keep weight down, and also have knobs...the front (as I have posted before) seems to wash out on me with the Pythons. I have Scorpians (Hutch) on the SS and there is real confidence there...

·
Registered
916 Posts
The fire xc were really good rear tire for me... lots of grip when climbing !

But they seemed like a pretty average front tire to me nothing exceptional

They are also pretty durable :thumbsup:

·
Registered
78 Posts
Roll X

I have specialized Roll X (non-tubeless) on my racer X and they work great. I'd like to convert them to tubeless using a Stan's kit to cut down on flats, though. I ride in the desert Southwest so cholla is a big issue. I've used Panaracer Fire XC Pros before and liked them. Like most people on this forum report, they seem to be a jack-of-all trades but master of none. Good tire, inexpensive, solid performer in many settings.

·
Registered
7,409 Posts
Fire xc pro is great everywhere but mud, where it is terrible (knobs too close together).

Heavy? I think the 2.1 runs around 550 - 580 grams.

If they made this tire in a 2.3, I'd still be on them all the time. I'm trying the 2.25 cinder, which holds great, but is much slower in the rolling department, and a bit heavy. It doesn't quite seem like a true 2.25, either.

Cinder up front, fire in back is a pretty tough-to-beat hdxc combo IMO.

·
Registered
9,123 Posts
Fire XC vs Cinder

My Fire XCs weigh around 580g (tube tires) which I don't think is heavy. My 1.95 Cinder weighs around 565g. The Cinder seems gripier (as in the rubber compound) so I can run a wornout Cinder and still get decent traction. I like the Fire XCs, though. For the price they're a decent tire. Don't know about the tubeless version. I also see that the Cinder comes in bigger sizes and the weights go up up up! Jeez, louise, who needs to ride such heavy tires in a cross country scenario? Not me. I never run a tire that weighs over 600 g.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I actually really like mine. I've tried alot of tires including the Nevegals and mutanoraptors and I think I actually like the XC Pro better. And they're ALOT cheaper!
:thumbsup:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts