Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
beautiful noise...
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not one to post about stuff that's been discussed to death but... Performance has a really great deal on some Fire XC Pro "Special Edition" tires. I know about the Taiwan/Japan-60/120TPI-Labeling crap, but what I don't know is what the heck are these particular tires!!! I personally went to my local Performance to check 'em out. For all intents and purposes they look just like the Jap 120s accept for the "special color" (gray). Here's the kicker; They're heavier and the sidewalls feel "thinner"! One thing I noticed was the dominant thread pattern on the inside of the sidewall seemed more "spaced out" on these compared to a known Jap 120TPI. I couldn't tell much difference between tread compounds, seemed to be the same. Both are folding, Aramid bead, etc... Anybody got a clue? :confused:
http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=20785&subcategory_ID=5430

·
Fashionably functional...
310 Posts
Wodered about those myself but don't have a Performance near me to check them out. The grey would really match my bikes well so I was seriously considering them. But now after your post, hmmmmmm. BTW, I personally don't feel/find any real difference betwen the the Japanese and Taiwanese Fires.

·
asymmetryrtemmysa
107 Posts
Interesting to hear that they are heavier than the 127tpi series. Performance's stated weight of 550g is 30g less than the standard 2.1" Japanese/kevlar bead.

For $12 (coupons, etc), I was considering purchasing them. After hearing your impressions, I wonder if they aren't the Taiwanese 67tpi version.

Jenson (and others, I am sure) have the 127tpi version for around $20 - not that much of a premium to be assured of getting what you think you are ordering.

·
Bunny Hugger
217 Posts
Even Better!

Hey, if these are indeed the Soma Infernos relabeled as Fire XC SE, then I say, Right On! Reading the description from Soma makes me feel that much better for buying them. It's a slightly beefier Fire XC; can't beat that. Thanks for the info, Red. :D

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
red5 said:
Would appear these could be some overstock Soma Fabrication Inferno's that never got bought and Panaracer decided to label as a "Special Edition" Fire XC....

https://www.somafab.com/tires_inf.html

If these are the Soma Inferno versions they have a different casing construction than the regular Fire XC Pro. Tougher, more puncture and cut resistant and heavier.

·
beautiful noise...
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not sure if they're the Soma versions... These ones are grey as the sky in Portland right now, not white. I picked up a set during an in store 10 percent off sale. We'll see if they're worth the $30 some odd bucks I paid! I do have to say that they look really nice against the new fork, a Marzocchi All Mountain SL. To give you an idea they're almost exactly the same color.

out yo-

·
Bunny Hugger
217 Posts
A Great Deal Regardless!

If these are relabeled Soma Infernoes, cool! If these are standard Fire XCs with grey sidewalls, thereby making em SEs, cool! In either case, getting 127 tpi made in Japan kevlar bead Fire XCs for around $30 a pair is a rockin deal. These tires are still the $h!t; they may not be as bling as they were a few years ago, but they still kick @$$. I'd put these 2.1s up against any other 2.1. They work; they look great; they're light; they have the right credentials! What more do you want?

I stocked up on these as well as the Cinder 2.25 when the Cinders were $20 each. That 20% off deal from Performance is a good thing. :D :cool: My tire needs are covered for the foreseeable future.

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
shiggy said:
If these are the Soma Inferno versions they have a different casing construction than the regular Fire XC Pro. Tougher, more puncture and cut resistant and heavier.
You know Shiggy, I allway's wondered what was up with you and the "they aren't that great because they're old" stuff routine. With the Conti Explorer's I have, which weren't "MTBR-blabbed at the top three" stuff, I couldn't care less about that tire. Roll-off's, chunking and weight - and make it heavier now? Duh-no! ......I understand you now. Thanks.

So, I guess I say these tire's "aren't for me". (and i'm being very politically-correct there!)

(junk)

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
AndrewTO said:
You know Shiggy, I allway's wondered what was up with you and the "they aren't that great because they're old" stuff routine. With the Conti Explorer's I have, which weren't "MTBR-blabbed at the top three" stuff, I couldn't care less about that tire. Roll-off's, chunking and weight - and make it heavier now? Duh-no! ......I understand you now. Thanks.

So, I guess I say these tire's "aren't for me". (and i'm being very politically-correct there!)

(junk)
I do not understand what you saw in that post or what you now "understand" about me.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.