Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 210 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
FBO posted out on Facebook that the USFS wants everyone to evacuate Shultz Pass/Sunset and Eldon Road due to fire. :-(

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

·
My other ride is your mom
5,442 Posts
****....out of the country on vacation....just received prelim evac notice for our home.....have a house sitter taking care of the dogs....helpless.....this is why we can't have nice things people!!!!!

·
5,442 Posts
....looks like it started around Jedi ....paging Rockman...any info....this brother who is out of the country would sure appreciate an update other than the innacurate and insiweb site

·
dirt visionary
6,521 Posts
From all the pictures I have seen. It looks like it went right up ginger drainage to the top and lower brookbank looks like it was also ablaze.

·
5,442 Posts
Thx for the update.....getting things here second hand ...at this point, dogs are safe.....nothing else I can do. Was there lightning last night.....or is this another vagrant fire like the one on the AZT two weeks ago in Ft. valley?

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thx for the update.....getting things here second hand ...at this point, dogs are safe.....nothing else I can do. Was there lightning last night.....or is this another vagrant fire like the one on the AZT two weeks ago in Ft. valley?
No lightning, blue skies, hot and a little bit of a breeze today.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
....looks like it started around Jedi ....paging Rockman...any info....this brother who is out of the country would sure appreciate an update other than the innacurate and insiweb site
Ignition point was at the top of Ginger near the Lookout. Air support was on location within an hour and indeed it was an impressive effort all afternoon. here are more than 182 wildland firefighters, with more than a dozen aircraft, fighting this wildfire. 7-engines, 4 fuel crews, 2 hotshot crews, 14 patrols, 2 dozers, 2 water tenders, 4 heavy air tankers, 4 single engine air tankers, 3 type-1 helicopters, a type-3 helicopters, an air attack, a lead plane and a very large air tanker.

I hear that they are using Climb #3 as the fireline on the northeast side and have or will shortly bulldoze a fireline up Red Onion. Nobody has been evacuated that lives along Elden Lookout Rd but it's close and could easily make a run in that direction if the winds shift. Winds have died down for the night. I heard that Jed was burned out and it sure looks like Ginger, Pickle, Lower Brookbank, and Prom Night are toast.

·
dirt visionary
6,521 Posts
That's sad. I am really bummed as I haven't gotten a chance to get up for a well deserved pedal day in flag this season yet. That's what I get for spending my free time on local trailwork instead of riding.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
I was climbing Sunset 11:30ish when my phone starting going off. When I got to the top I got the word that the area was being evacuated. Loitered for a bit to encourage anyone else I saw to high tail it out of there and then proceeded down the Onions to M. Oldham and Elden Lookout Rd. I hung out for a bit and in 30 min watched the fire jump from the drainage that Ginger is in (presumably the start zone at the top) all the way to lower Brookbank.

I then got the heck out of there and watched the rest of the afternoon from a much safer distance. Lots of air traffic safety going on and kudo to the responders, hot shots, and pilots. Very impressive effort and stay safe out there!

Top of Sunset.
Nature Vegetation Natural environment Tree Forest

Elden Lookout Rd at the corner just below the climbing area. Fire is in the Ginger drainage and moving ENE toward the Brookbank area.
Vegetation Nature Natural environment Plant community Atmosphere

Water drop.
Vegetation Nature Natural environment Plant community Atmosphere

Impressive how the air tanker follows in the spotter plane and then drops it's load of retardant.
Nature Vegetation Natural environment Atmosphere Atmospheric phenomenon

Vegetation Natural environment Event Highland Atmosphere

This pic is lifted from Jake Bacon's site.
Nature Vegetation Daytime Sky Natural environment

Back burns are on-going in the area of Elden Lookout Rd and Lower Brookbank.

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
Hmm started at the top of Ginger? I was up there all weekend, but avoid dry lake hills. How much of that burn area had been thinned?

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Hmm started at the top of Ginger? I was up there all weekend, but avoid dry lake hills. How much of that burn area had been thinned?
1000 acres so far. Here's the morning update. Heavy air component expected today. Fire was active overnight and the glow and flames visible from town. Spotting was apparently observed on the slopes going up to Sunset and on Elden itself.

FLAGSTAFF, Ariz., July 22, 2019 - Wildland firefighters are using every available aerial platform in the southwest region on a wildfire in the Dry Lake Hills area north of Flagstaff today.

The Museum Fire, currently about 1,000 acres, was very active overnight. Crews were not able to conduct burnout operations due to the activity and the fire spotting ahead of itself, but took indirect suppression tactics where they could.

The fire was flanked with retardant and water from more than a dozen aircraft Sunday in an effort to keep it in the Schultz Pass area and limit its spread north and south. Spotting was noted toward the east, and hand crews are working to create a fire line to work on containment that ties in with aerial suppression.

Fire managers will be using direct and indirect tactics to suppress the fire today. A heavy air component is expected as the objectives are to keep the fire east and south of Forest Road 420 (Schultz Pass Road), west of U.S. Highway 89, and north of the Pipeline Road and those communities.

Drones of any kind are prohibited from flying over the area. When an unidentified aircraft, manned or unmanned, is sighted in the fire area, all air operations must shut down immediately. This poses significant risk to fire personnel and suspends crucial air suppression tactics. If any member of the public sees someone launching a drone, please call 911. The public should also stay out of the fire area for public and firefighter safety.

Heavy smoke will be visible from Flagstaff and other local communities. The public should use extreme caution when driving on U.S. Highways 180 and 89 north of Flagstaff and stay out of the fire area.

Updates about the Museum Fire, acreage, and latest activity will be found daily on Inciweb and posted on the Coconino National Forest Twitter and Facebook social media sites

https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/coconino/news-events/?cid=FSEPRD644791
https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/6450/

1 - 20 of 210 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.