Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 177 Posts

·
Silence! I kill you!
3,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Woke up, flipped on the news & saw footage for a fire burning at Summit Rd & Loma Prieta Rd.

For some reason NBC11 reports it near Mt Madonna

http://www.nbc11.com/news/16361285/detail.html?dl=mainclick

At least 100 acres have burned near Mount Madonna County Park about 10 miles west of Gilroy.

The fire started at about 6 a.m. Thursday off Summit Road near Loma Prieta Road in the Felton area of the Santa Cruz mountains.

WATCH LIVE: Chopper11 Over The Wildfire

CalFire crews are at the scene and are dispatching a helicopter to the area.

Several homes and ranches are scattered throughout the mountainous area. Chopper11 showed at least one structure destroyed by the flames.

Chopper11 shows flames burning out of control and smoke spreading for several miles.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Looks like a BIG one. Saw it on the news this morning, and the smoke is easily visible from Fremont-Union City.

Had plans for a big Demo training ride on Saturday, but it looks like I will be hitting the road instead.

Hope everyone stays safe in the mountains. It's going to be a tough weekend for firefighters and residents.

·
M070R-M0U7H FR3NCHI3
3,584 Posts
I saw that big cloud of smoke on my way into work this morning. was wondering what that was. I hope they contain it soon...

·
I am lost, I'm no guide
1,145 Posts
Anyone know which way it's burning?

I've been watching the live feed on abc7news, but can't orient myself. My folks have a summer cabin off Old San Jose Road. They're about 10 miles away from where the fire originated (appears to be near Summit Store). This fire is going to be huge...

·
Medium?
6,725 Posts
One big fire, 500 acres growing fast. It's burning right down the ridge where Summit Rd runs due south from Loma Prieta Peak.

Video taken WSW from east of 101 in MH. I did video instead of a picture to show how windy it is.

·
Silence! I kill you!
3,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I did see a graphic that showed the smoke heading south towards the Monterey area, so my wild guess is thats the direction the fire is heading. I believe 152 is either closed or is almost closed so they can get fire trucks up there, and Pole Line Rd is closed to residents only

·
360 Video Developer
285 Posts
This could be really bad. Wind is forecast today up to 30MPH.

Good luck to the fire teams and locals that live in the area.

·
Founder: Dirty3hirties
2,031 Posts
So sad....

I hope I don't hear later on that they suspect arson....that would PISS ME OFF to no end. :madmax:

·
just another bleepin SSer
1,453 Posts
For anyone that was considering going to the Demo today, they are reporting that they are shutting down Summit Rad now to make it easier for CDF. In case there was any question before - you shouldn't go.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Worrisome about Soquel

KGO radio (810 AM) has been having excellent fire coverage. One report, either on it or KCBS, is that the fire began around 5:00 a.m. at 715 Ormsby Trail. (Of course information at this point is highly unreliable.) As most of us know, Ormsby Trail is the paved private road that goes to the left at the intersection of Highland Way and (I think) Buzzard Lagoon Road--i.e., the intersection 2 miles south of the Soquel parking lot where you transition from pavement to dirt and start climbing past the paintballers' area.

If this is accurate, I wonder if it has gone into the Nisene Marks-Soquel Demo area, or whether it's headed in the other direction and away from Demo.

Too bad about the Highland Way road closure. It's probably making it harder for firefighters to gain access.

·
Registered
751 Posts
The wind is generally blowing the fire east and se, which means it should be going away from nisene marks and demo. How heavily populated is that area? Never really driven down that area, or know anyone that lives around the Ormsby Trail.

·
Just here for the scenery
354 Posts
Here's a satpix that shows the origin of the plume:

http://tinyurl.com/3uhkpp

(Edited to shorten the 200-character URL I originally posted.)

In my experience it's rare to be able to see smoke from fires on this sat view, which is tuned to the IR wavelength of fog and cloud. Must be a fast fire.

The sun is the color of a red traffic light down here on the south side of M'Bay, looks like an angry red searchlight.

Eddy

·
Registered
136 Posts
theres not too many people that live up there, just a couple really rich private houses and some cabins. its going to be bad though, im in gilroy and the winds are pretty gnarly

·
Paper or plastic?
10,168 Posts
It has become 1000 acres as of 8:30am. The fire is spreading really quickly.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
It's crazy. I was bookended by fire trucks coming up Hwy. 101 this morning. I guess they're tackling the fire from the other end? I got off on Cochrane Avenue in Morgan Hill and they were still headed down 101.

The trucks at the CDF station next door are all gone, naturally, fortunately.

1 - 20 of 177 Posts