Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going to hit either Pisga or Fire Mountain on the way back down to FL from Snowshoe the end of this month. From the videos I have seen, Fire Mountain looks really awesome. Can you shuttle Fire Mountain, or do even need to? If we choose Fire Mountain, we will only be riding one day, and would like to get the most out of it. Spearfinger and Kessel Run are the two main trails we want to hit, (I think there is a 3rd also) as much as possible. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Big Mac
4,989 Posts
There is a huge difference between Pisgah, and fire mountain. Yuge. Fire Mountain trails are purpose built flow trails. Pisgah isn’t. Depends on what you’re looking for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Personally, I don't get all the hype for Fire Mountain. It's a good trail system that is well designed and fun to ride, but among the options available along your route (DuPont, Pisgah, Bent Creek), it's not one I'd go out of my way to visit unless you specifically want more XC style riding. In the context of WNC, it's not something I'd go out of my way to ride or visit especially if Brevard or Asheville are accessible on your route.

The trails are smooth, flowy, and fairly fast, they've added a few short wood features, also, but most of the downhills have a few steep, punchy climbing sections and I find the trails get kindof repetitive after a while. If that's what you are looking for, then it's a great option, but I personally prefer the trails in the Brevard/Asheville area, where you have more extended descending and a lot more variety to choose from in length, trail surface, and type.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Personally, I don't get all the hype for Fire Mountain. It's a good trail system that is well designed and fun to ride, but among the options available along your route (DuPont, Pisgah, Bent Creek), it's not one I'd go out of my way to visit unless you specifically want more XC style riding. In the context of WNC, it's not something I'd go out of my way to ride or visit especially if Brevard or Asheville are accessible on your route.

The trails are smooth, flowy, and fairly fast, they've added a few short wood features, also, but most of the downhills have a few steep, punchy climbing sections and I find the trails get kindof repetitive after a while. If that's what you are looking for, then it's a great option, but I personally prefer the trails in the Brevard/Asheville area, where you have more extended descending and a lot more variety to choose from in length, trail surface, and type.
Agree 100%

·
Registered
196 Posts
If you are after flow trails, then I would checkout Bailey Mountain bike park. They have a couple of (steepish) flow trails and some harder routes as well. Shuttling included. If you are looking for brute climbs with baller descents, then checkout pisgah.

For a semi shuttle-able trail look at kitsuma. You miss the greenway/old 70 climb, but you still have ~400+ switchbacks to climb from the dropoff to the top. It is an easy shuttle (one exit up I-40 up/down black mtn), which is uncommon of the shuttles in the area (except ridgeline at dupont). Most other shuttles take almost as long or longer than it would for a moderately fit mtber would take to climb it. But they aren't terrible for a one off shuttle, if you have a driver (who doesn't mind curvy roads).

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey sorry for the late reply, been studying for paramedic finals. I really appreciate all the replies. It looks like we are hitting Bailey instead of Pisga or Fire Mountain. The guys I am going with have never been to Bailey before, so I guess that's where we are headed for the return trip. Dont get me wrong, I love Bailey, but after 3 days of Snowshoe, some fast, long, singletrack in the woods sounded great.
Again, thank you, and maybe in Oct when we do our annual Ellijay Ga / Knoxville trip we can slide over to NC for either Pisga or Fire for a day.

·
Registered
179 Posts
No shuttling needed. Climbing Spearfinger is my favorite way to the top to hit Spearfinger and Kessel descents. They are flowy, fast, and fun.
Recently did Fire again and have determined The Undisputed Best Route: Go up Spearfinger (longer) or Fire Tower (shorter, steeper), then down Kessel. Repeat up, then down Uktena. If you want more, go up partial, then down lower Uktena. Spearfinger is strictly a climbing means, downhill is meh.

That's the best flow with some more narrow, turny, variety on Uktena. Still, for anyone but novice, this is an off-day, spin activity.

Great trail system and more in the works! With hope it won't be just more wide-open, smooth flow.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I've heard of people doing it with younger kids that can't make the climb out.
Yeah I have mostly seen families shuttling their kids. My wife will sometimes make me drop her off at least once if we are riding at dupont. However, this is mainly because I won't ride it with her, or will only do it once (if its part of what we are riding that day).

·
Registered
126 Posts
That's hilarious. My youngest first rode the Jim Branch/Ridgeline loop when he was 5yo.. can't imagine shuttling that..
Was thinking the same thing. My oldest(now 8) rode the whole loop without walking on HER first ride in the woods at age 6. That was on a coaster brake specialized hot rock 20". Nobody should be shuttling Ridgeline.

Edit to add: That first ride actually included Hickory as well. I believe she walked the off camber start and then one or two more times on Hickory.

·
Big Mac
4,989 Posts
I've heard of people doing it with younger kids that can't make the climb out.
That's a bit pitiful. The climb out is only tough in one spot. Super walkable. The first time my son did it was on his strider. He pushed it up that part. Shuttling never crossed our minds. But, it beats sittin on the couch, I reckon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
196 Posts
Was thinking the same thing. My oldest(now 8) rode the whole loop without walking on HER first ride in the woods at age 6. That was on a coaster brake specialized hot rock 20". Nobody should be shuttling Ridgeline.

Edit to add: That first ride actually included Hickory as well. I believe she walked the off camber start and then one or two more times on Hickory.
Wow, that is impressive. Kudos to both of y'all.

I'm impressed she was able to ride the whole thing on her first time in the woods. That is a SS bike isn't it? Which way did you go? I'm guessing you didn't ride hooker creek?

There are parts of that loop that my wife didn't ride on some of her first rides there. Mainly some of the root steps on the uphills. But she was also gassed in certain places too. However we are piedmonters, so the elevation hurts some. She also had a little trouble on a super short rocky section at the top of ridgeline that I didn't even really notice. I think she wrecked there on her first ride.

However, expecting that every kid or even adult is able to do it just because your kid did is a little short-sighted. For instance, I wouldn't recommend that ride to a friend asking for a first mtb ride with their 6 yr old. Well, unless I knew the kid could handle 6ish miles and 600ft of elevation change. Which means they have to have been riding on road/greenway for a while.

Of course, I'm not saying they should shuttle it either.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.