Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How's the climb to the top of fire mountain? It looks like a great system, and I've been thinking about taking my kids there (girls age 7 and 9). I just don't want their mental stamina crushed before we get to the fun stuff. Also, what's the best nearby camping spot?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I've heard real good things about jackrabbit in haynesville.
^^this place^^

I've been to all the trails mentioned with my young kids and Jackrabbit easily takes the top spot on the podium.

Tsali is basically flat and boring for WNC standards. Yes, it is technically mountain biking, but it's far from exciting.

Fire Mountain is a very good time, but you do have to climb up to get down. The climb up Uktena is actually pretty average for the area (2 miles, 800 feet). Your family will love the flow of the descents and there is virtually no tech to hurt you.

Jackrabbit on the other hand is pretty much the perfect combination of mild, intermittent climbs, and really nice twisting flow. Whoever built this trail system (kudos to you!), did a proper job. Great tread, light tech, with lots of loop options. Plus the beach at Jackrabbit campground is sublime compared to the clay based yuck of Fontana Lake.

Choose Jackrabbit over all the others. You and the kids won't be disappointed.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks. I might have to give Jackrabbit another chance. I went there 2 winters ago and it didn't impress me. That being said, we didn't do much riding since my oldest had just broken her wrist and was tagging along on foot. The camping did look good though.

It's been nearly 10 years since I've ridden Tsali, and I remember that being similar to Chicopee Woods (my backyard trail in NGA). The bonus there would be the option of taking the kids down the Nantahala.

·
Dig it!
712 Posts
If you do take the kids to Fire Mtn go early in the day when it is cool or go later in the fall. Take a bungee and pull the younger one up. You can PM me for details if you need them.

·
Dig it!
712 Posts
save yourself some money... two good carabiner's and 6 feet of cord does the trick for me.

View attachment 1273047

one end around your seat post and the other around the kid's bike stem.
A 16 foot piece of quarter inch shock cord tied into a loop works much, much better than a regular piece of cord. It's easier to get started, has less slack, and helps nudge them over something they are apprehensive about like a root or rock.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.