Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After cutting alot of fire line this summer (all of nor-cal was burning) i thought about how many fire lines turn into bike trails.

I bet that alot of the fire trails cut would be excellent mtbr trails.

Any one have any experience with that.

Just a thought. :D

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Thanks for your hard work!

My little experience cutting fire line leads me to believe that most wouldn't serve well for trails. MTB/Hiking trails are purpose built to lead somewhere, fire line is cut to interupt the course of a fire which is just going where the winds blows, a lot of fire line is far to steep for either hiking or MTBing.

Some fire access roads might double as MTB trails if you like riding that sorta stuff.

My2cents

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well on some of the fires i was on we cut some line that kind of side hilled this mountain and then as fire's do they will finger down etc....

Meh, just a thought. ;)

Where did you get ur fire line cutting experience? Hopefully not in an Orange Jumpsuit. lol...j/k..

·
Motobey
276 Posts
Welllllllll

We had this little trail just down from my house that was the result of a fence line. I was nice for practicing technical stuff, that my son and I made. Just Friday it went up in smoke all our wood was burned in a wild fire. However courtesy of Forestry we are now planing on a bigger trial that will utilize the fire trench. Is going to be fun.

One of the other trails we ride uses abandon fire lines it's really cool.

·
I should be out riding
1,866 Posts
PieRow said:
After cutting alot of fire line this summer (all of nor-cal was burning) i thought about how many fire lines turn into bike trails.

I bet that alot of the fire trails cut would be excellent mtbr trails.

Any one have any experience with that.

Just a thought. :D
I've turned a few into bike trails in western OR. IMO they've rarely been ideal for an entire trail, but it depends on the terrain. Many firelines are too steep to make a sustainable multi directional trail, but using pieces of a fireline and rerouting where needed can get a bunch of trail done quickly. They make good moto trails too, especially since the grade going up isn't so important to a moto. All the good hillclimbs when I was in high school had started as firelines and were later converted to trails.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.