Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
I was also planning a trip up there this weekend. Looks like Cannelle trail is affected by the fire (at least the end of it). The fire doesn't look like it hit JO...yet. I believe the fire is 0% contained at the moment so anything can happen. KCFD's facebook page (maybe Twitter too) seems to have the most up to date.

BUT, above all things I hope the Kern County community stays safe.

·
just along for the ride
3,033 Posts
It was 4200 acres last night, webcams look smokey this AM under 4000', Lets hope no big eastery winds pick up or its going to get nasty. I'll be riding west side trails, looks like CP and JO might be smoked out for the foreseeable future, good luck

·
member: kv dirt daddies
382 Posts
Cannell is burning now. My guess is that the bottom 3 miles or so is burned. It is hard to tell how far up the fire has gone. Camp Nelson is way North of the fire and JO is a good bit South. The normal afternoon winds should push all the smoke to the North. JO should be clear but Camp Nelson might catch some of that smoke. I'm sure that even best case Cannell will be closed for a week or 2.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hey Jfsh, How's it going? I contacted you a few weeks (maybe a month or so ago) through dirttreaders. You gave my your shuttle driver contact. As you can tell I was planning a trip for riding and the Citra release but I'm not sure if that is going to happen now considering the state of the community. I hope you're staying safe. How's everyone else in Kernville taking it?

Jeff

·
382 Posts
Things are fine around here. There are a few people who lost their homes and that is a real bummer but it seems that things with the fire are stable. That could change quickly with the wind. Cannell will certainly be a no go for this weekend but there are other trails that should be open. We are used to fires in the Summer. It happens every year. We just deal with it and move on.

·
382 Posts
The fire is still raging but it has moved away from Kernville. It sounds like it is well above 6000 acres and growing. There is now over 1000 personnel, and tons of aircraft fighting the fire. Here are some pictures I took this afternoon from my house.
Here is the bottom of the Cannell Trail.

The trail became a firebreak.

The town is full of firefighters

The air attack has been the real show.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Looks like JO and surrounding trails are still open. I will keep a close eye on the situation as some buddies and I will be traveling up there from San Diego. We were hoping to hit up CP but it sounds like we will do JO and/or MC/Remington.

Stay safe up there guys.

·
Registered
27 Posts
BTW, thanks for the update and pics. Those pics really hit home. It wasn't too long ago when I could look out my backyard and see Chula Vista (San Diego) burning. It's crazy how things can drastically change for the worse during fire season.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts