Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A very close and dear friend of mine went through hell this past weekend...the house she was renting caught fire and her and her daughter lost nearly everything.

FORTUNATELY her road bike (Specialized Allez) and trainer (Kinetic fluid) were spared from any major damage...we think.

Her bike is gonna be in obvious need of some work, but she was wondering how extreme heat would affect the frame...aluminum and carbon fiber fork. From the pix, the bike looks to be in relatively good shape. Things like grip tape, tires, cyclometer, seatbag, lights, cables (which I'll take care of) will need to be replaced and the bike will need one hell of a washing and tuneup...but hopefully it will be rideable soon.

And apparently the trainer came out relatively unscathed. That too needs a good washing. But what about the fluid in the flywheel? Would that need to be replaced or should I just go ahead and get her a new one?

Thanks!

Nick

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
I'd contact Specialized about the effects of heat on the frame/fork. If she's insured she may be in line for a new bike. I'd be worried about heat treatment issues with the frame and de-lamination or other forms of damage with the fork. I hope things look up for your friend soon.

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
RobW said:
If she's insured she may be in line for a new bike.
Unfortunately she didn't have renter's insurance.
:(

I'd be worried about heat treatment issues with the frame and de-lamination or other forms of damage with the fork.
Yeah that's what I was thinking about with the fork.

I hope things look up for your friend soon.
Thanks :). So far it looks like things are gonna be OK with her and her daughter. It's a bit hectic now with so much going on (she also totalled her car on Monday too!!!!). There has been a tremendous outpouring of help from her friends and family and her community.

Even though something like a road bike is "insignificant" during a tragic time like this, that bike was very important to her. She found great joy in riding "Nuthugger". As much as I want her and her daughter (and their cat) to get back on their feet and get a sense of normallcy in their lives, I'd LOVE for her to get back on her bike again and experience that Passion that many of us feel when we are out there riding.

Thanks

Nick

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.