1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been a while since ive posted here, but im finishing up my build finally,

BEFORE:

AFTER:

Still need to replace that rear rotor, and slap on a pair of new tires.

Other than that, this is a completely rebuilt bike, just have the cranks/gears, and rear wheel from the old bike.

What do you think? :D

Edit: Oops, i should've washed it, but just got back from a ride

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jibro said:
A shorter stem may do you some justice...if you have the knee clearance to do so. Otherwise nice build. How much does it weigh?
Yea, I liked the length of the older one better, but the new bars are a different size. Ill have to look into the weight later on, haven't had the chance to weigh it.

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
barefootdan said:
Yea, I liked the length of the older one better, but the new bars are a different size. Ill have to look into the weight later on, haven't had the chance to weigh it.
Stems look almost the same length.
The trend right now is shorter stem, wider bars. But only really if you are riding more aggressive terrain/ or your bike's suspension tends to put your weight more forward.

Shorter stem = more aggressive terrain, as it puts your weight further back automatically. However, also means you need to lean further forward when you climb to get your weight evenly distributed.

I think the bike looks good for the terrain you are riding. Don't be fooled into changing your setup to suit aggressive terrain when the majority of the trails you ride have more climbs. A lot of people get fooled into riding a heavier/more aggressive geo bike because they believe that they need it to ride the 3% of trails they actually hit.

·
Alive and Lurkin'
597 Posts
KavuRider said:
Stems look almost the same length.
The trend right now is shorter stem, wider bars. But only really if you are riding more aggressive terrain/ or your bike's suspension tends to put your weight more forward.

Shorter stem = more aggressive terrain, as it puts your weight further back automatically. However, also means you need to lean further forward when you climb to get your weight evenly distributed.

I think the bike looks good for the terrain you are riding. Don't be fooled into changing your setup to suit aggressive terrain when the majority of the trails you ride have more climbs. A lot of people get fooled into riding a heavier/more aggressive geo bike because they believe that they need it to ride the 3% of trails they actually hit.
Trend? There is no trend. Long Stems belong on road bikes. I have always taken issue with Mtn Bikes geo being too close to a modified road bike for the trails. I have and always will try to get my bikes to steer more like a BMX bike than a road bike. Whatever the terrain pull head out of rear.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
100% agree with Kavu on this one.
I don't enjoy riding any real distance on a MTB with a short stem. It makes for uncomfortable pedaling and puts too much weight on the saddle.
Short stems work great dedicated riding style bikes, but for all around riding get what ever is most comfortable for pedaling which is usually a medium length stem.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yea, i do enjoy going down more than up of course. Sometimes i see myself just HAB to the top so i can get to the downhills faster! Im considering finding a good place to shuttle to the top and test out just downhilling. I know that this bike isnt the best for that but who knows. Besides SOMO, anything up in the NW valley i can find some good downhill trails? I could manage a HAB to the top if it needs.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.