Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, my awesome wife surprised me on Christmas with NEW ENDOS. i was able to finish my Pugsley that day and do a little night ride. Yesterday i found some shore on the Willamette in Portland.

This is my first build, and it won't be my last. This might be the most fun i have ever had with a project of any kind. and then i can ride it!

Here are some specs:
rear wheel: LM 26" rim, 36h, laced to an Alfine (S501), 20t cog, black straight gauge dt spokes
rear wheel: LM 26" rim, 36h, laced to Paul WORD Fixed/Disc, surly 18t fixed cog, black straight gauge dt spokes
120tpi endomorph tires
mr whirly crankset, triple, but only using middle 32t and granny 24t
spot brand bash guard, 32t, 94mm bcd (replaced the big ring of the tripple)
wellgo b67 bmx platforms
sram 8sp chain, with 2 power links to use granny ring (doing that tonight)
alfine trigger
selle anatomica titanico saddle
avid speed dial levers and avid bb7 with 185mm clean sweep rotors
centerlock to 6bolt adapter (for rear brake rotor, alfine is center lock)
chris king headset no-threadset-dreadset
avid flack jacket (this kinda sucked, used jagwire for the front)
cinelli tape (ordering some sram superlight and some ergons, i am thinking)
stem thomson 25.4 x 90 x 15 degree
seat post thomson 27.2mm x 410mm
gorilla tape for rims
titec h bars
mini road morph, topeak
frame saver

Riding fixed is badass fun, though way tough - especially when you get going. Feels like a beast that will buck you off if you eff up. You gotta be sweet on the brakes at high speeds. Teaching my self how to ride backwards, gettin pretty good! my first fixed gear bike. totally different bike as a fixed.

Working on racks now. I am thinking the OMM rear Sherpa for the front and an OMM Red Rocks on the rear. I hear good things about both, but I haven't seen someone putt a Red Rocks on the back of a Pugsley. I know someone in town with one that I might talk to.

The gearing is feeling pretty good, but I think i want to swap to a 22 rear cog on the alfine instead of the 20. I am excited about trying out the granny and putting the second powerlink on the chain. Would have been nice to kick it to the granny today on some of the climbs that I attempted. Does anyone know if this would work or would it mess with the chainline too much? I am also considering a third powerlink to lengthen the chain so that i can use a tensioner and switch to the granny ring with my finger, but i will need to do some research on that.

Special thanks to Vik B who posted a lot of details about his build and answered a lot of my questions patiently. I shamelessly copied his build for the big things. his CDN GDR set of flickr was a big reason why i wanted to do this. Thanks to everyone else, for that matter, who helped me out a long the way.

Heres some pics:

this sign might become fenders:

the in front of the garage shot:

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
enjoy your new pug :thumbsup:

good to see another new pugsley amongst all the latest releases of other makes of fatbikes...i still love the pug,love its quirkyness of being offset and rear hub up front...
always a good talking point with folk after they get over the shock of the tyres :D

have fun..post some pics...

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks dude. you are a legend.
my favorite part about fatbikes is how giddy everyone gets and how unique and personal the builds are.
all the fun combos you can do make the pug stand out a lot for me.
i am going to pick up a paul melvin tensioner to execute my idea for the two chainrings/3 powerlinks.

looking forward to many adventures, already found some too.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
please keep snowing

snow biking may be the best kind of riding of all time.

stayed up a little late so i could take the snow dog out untethered:

we only get a couple days of snow a year in Portland. i am crossing my fingers for what happened last year - we got like a foot and work closed for 3 days.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yeah, it's funny how a small bit of snow (like a few inches) will just totally eff traffic here. it took people hours to get home on the hwy's. Portland isn't set up for handling snow well at all. the drivers just freak out and stop obeying signs, etc. the cyclists and walkers seemed to fare pretty well. the pugsley of course was the dominant mode is all cases.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks dudes.
looking forward to seeing your builds. i was lucky and was able to find at least a limited selection of dh 36h LM's. i learned about speedway too late, those are *****in rims, but no complaints here (still feels a tad faster than my lht sometimes). i am jonesin to get out of the house for a few hours and avoid drama about it. thinkin 5am tomorrow.
i picked up a used OMM rear sherpa rack the other day. i figured out a way to mount it, but i need some longer hardened bolts (that's what she said). i am essentially going to mount the drive side arm to the inside of the frame. i am going to contact omm for a better solution, and also contact some other folks who have done it. will post pics. this is temporary till i move it to the front when i get another rear rack - thinking red rock or surly nice. depends on how the red rock mounts.
i should be able to get the 2.0 release of the drive train out next week too. my paul melvin is arriving on thur. then i will be able to kick to the granny and tackle those ***** hills i tried last week (would have been a breeze on the LHT).
balls, i need to ride. need a good light for the dark night. thinking about either an amoeba or a minewt combo pack (one helmet, one bar mounted).
good luck with your build. you don't know what you are in for.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
build updates....

i just wanted to share a few things that i have added to my build.

i added a melvin tensioner so that I can shift to the granny (manually with the heel/finger for now).
this caused a bit of drama with the rack mount arm pushing the shifting cable into the chain (just a bit), but i just sawed the spacer down a bit more to get the rack on the outside of the driveside of the frame. this pic links to the flickr version with detailed notes:

my favorite mod so far is to the alfine shifter. the window was making a rattle so I cut it off and sealed it up with silicone, following the tip from Anthony D. on this thread. i sawed off the shifter triggers to get them outta the way of my hand wrapping around the bars:

i am happy with the gearing for now, but would like to move the to a smaller cog (20t to 18t) and a larger big ring up front. i put together a set of tables showing gain ratios/gear in for my current gearing, the planned gearing, and the gearing for my stock LHT for comparison. find it here. the current big ring and cog (32tx20t) are good for 95% of my regular riding, so I am fine with manual shifting. when i make the change, i will probably get a thumbie/FD.

oh and BIG thanks to smokey for hooking me up with a Larry last week. going to take it to the mountain soon!

my next big update will by my high-power homebrew LED lights. parts are trickling in...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.