Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
808+909 = Party Good Time
2,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wandering around all the photos on the singlespeed and 29er forums, I get the impression a lot of rigid fork riders wear full gloves? Wondering if there was a reason for this or just preference? Wasn't sure if it was something to do with padding, preference or weather conditions...

·
Ain't afraid of no ghosts
309 Posts
I wear fingerless, but only b/c they have more padding in the palm. However, with the new grips I threw on, I can go gloveless and feel like I have padding on.

·
808+909 = Party Good Time
2,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
can I ask what ya new grips are? they sound like something I should get?

·
one chain loop
2,360 Posts
i don't think ss'ers wear specific gloves just because its rigid. its like asking "do ss'ers wear spandex or padded shorts?". for me, its a personal preference judging from what kind of ride i am into. if its bushy singletrack with lots of tree branches to snag on, or chilly, its full finger. if its 30C+ degress riding asphalt, fingerless for sure. btw, i wear winter gloves too.

·
Ain't afraid of no ghosts
309 Posts

·
is buachail foighneach me
6,589 Posts
fingerless when it's really hot or for longer rides. although fingers make the grips less slippy. i reeeeeaaaallly wish they made full fingered gloves with fingerless padding...

·
Registered
305 Posts
I have tried many kinds of full finger gloves and the best ones so far are Mechanix Fast Fit.
20 bucks, buy them anywhere, they don't wear out, and most important, you are able to open a beer can with 'em. Also, use Oury Grips.

·
local trails rider
12,300 Posts
Full finger. Any time I'm on any bike.

The reason? Protection. Against all the vegetation that is growing next to the trail, and whatever my hands hit when I ... er ... dismount ungracefully.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
full finger because when you get sweaty your exposed digits don't grip the grips so well anymore... i wish i could wear fingerless! i certainly wear them on the road in the summer.

·
HTFU and Ride
1,216 Posts
Full finger on the trails and fingerless (or none) on the road. Protection is the main reason for me to use fingerless also.

·
Live, Freeze, and Ride
315 Posts
I wear full finger gloves so my hands stay nice and soft for my girl. Nothing worse than scratching your girl with beat up mitts during a 'special' moment.
And I ride SS, fixie, FS SS, FS geared, and road. It's really personal preference.

·
Administrator
10,630 Posts
full finger gloves for me. Mostly to protect against trail obstacles and to provide better grip with sweaty hands. I live in the desert, ride rigid and would never ride without gloves. One dismount and your hands could be done for life.

As far as padding go I run gloves with no padding at all, fox inclines, cheap and last a reasonably long time and no padding what so ever. I recently began using these:

fox unabomber

no padding and protection for the outside knuckles which I find quite helpful when negotiating technical rocky downhills.

grips are a no brainer for me I use the Intense Lockons or the raceface lockons. Slim and steadfast.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Dms1818 said:
I have tried many kinds of full finger gloves and the best ones so far are Mechanix Fast Fit.
20 bucks, buy them anywhere, they don't wear out, and most important, you are able to open a beer can with 'em. Also, use Oury Grips.

I second the Mechanix gloves. Any time the temp is above freezing at least. For the cold stuff I wear a pair of Thor Motocross winter gloves.

·
is buachail foighneach me
6,589 Posts
lobolator said:
I wear full finger gloves so my hands stay nice and soft for my girl. Nothing worse than scratching your girl with beat up mitts during a 'special' moment.
And I ride SS, fixie, FS SS, FS geared, and road. It's really personal preference.

full fingered gloves on regular grips give me huge, rough calluces(sp). since switching to silicone foam grips, my callouses(sp) are all but nonexistant. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
136 Posts
Full

Full finger all the time, almost regardless of weather. It has to be over 90 to go without them. Have a couple pairs of the Pearl Izumi black, not very padded ones. They have taken a lot of abuse over the past couple years.

Quite a few marks from trees, rocks and such across the fingers that I would rather have on the gloves than my skin....

·
Registered
699 Posts
Full finger for cool weather, fingerless for warm weather, that's the way I do it, though I do have a pair of really cool (as in not hot) full finger gloves- thin spandex back, heavy palms. (I still see hardcore roadies out there with bare knees and fingers this time of year).

·
artistic...
7,597 Posts
i ride w/ holes in my socks. HTH.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts