Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to get back into racing this upcoming season but am having trouble finding any information about XC races on the web. I'm in New York City, so I'm looking for general Northeast races (4-5 hour drives generally from NYC).

Are there any good sites out there with race calenders?

Are there any "classic" races in the Northeast I should look at riding in?

I'm planning on beginning again in the beginner class. Do I need to do anything other than pay entry fees and/or show up to enter said class?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
soulrida said:
You also asked as to whether you can just sign up and race. Yes as long as you only plan on racing beginner generally all you do is bring your money, choose your class, and have fun.
If I want to do anything beyond beginner class I need what? A license? I'm getting ahead of myself but like to know these things.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Most grassroots local races, you can race any class without a license, even expert. However races such as a NORBA (national level races) require a license, as do some of their sanctioned events. When you move up from beginner you wont need any license or anything unless you plan on doing a NORBA. If youre just planning on doing small local races there isnt much to worry about just show up, sign up and pay.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Plattekill is probably one of my favorite places to ride, even if the weather is bad (wet) the trails are all really rideable as the course is a the top of the mountain and mostly rocky or well draining soil. The series went away a few years ago, but the promotor loves xc and they give away really good prizes!

My only wish is that they put the initial climb/finishing descent back in. The course is about a 5 mile loop at the top of the mountain (ride the lift to the top). You used to have to climb all the way up each lap and then descend back down! Now that was a fun course!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.