Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,

I have been riding a mtb for about 15 years now and have been an avid 26" hardtail rider. This spring I bought my first 29er hardtail and have had the following experiences on the bigger wheels:
* Track stands are easier
* Traction is hugely improved
* All of the tech sections that required me to dance around on the bike before I can simply ride with a decent line choice and a little movement.
* Cornering is improved once I learned the timing with a bigger wheel.

I do need to get better at manuals and pumping the ground when riding. Right now my manuals are pretty weak at maybe 4" height tops, and for some reason I cannot pump at all. Any pointers?

Thanks

·
WillWorkForTrail
4,989 Posts
Manuals are going to be difficult on a 29er, not impossible but difficult, and that's pretty much the long and the short of it. Pumping really shouldn't be much different from the 26ers you've been riding in terms of feel. The timing is just a little different. A guy on one of our local rides told me you couldn't pump a 29er because the heavy wheels didn't spin up enough in each pump to make any difference to the overall speed. The conversation started as a result of my pointing out the next section of trail could basically be pumped to the point where you flew for the next 1/4 to 1/3 of a mile, to which he agreed, but then pointed out it wouldn't work for me. I still haven't figured out why it took him so long to catch up to me.

All I can tell you about pumping is practice it obsessively, pump off roots or any little depression in the trail. Once you start to hit the sweet spot a few times, your body should start to learn the timing, and just latch on to it, and you're off.

·
beater
5,932 Posts
Before I bought a DJ, I rode my Prime in our local park's pump track a dozen times or so. It's not ideal, but it can be done.

If you have a pump track available to you, that'll definitely give you a leg up on getting the feel with the new bike.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
For the manuals I guess it is not as important on a 29" wheeled bike due to the roll over. I was able to ride everything yesterday with the front wheel just getting a few inches off the ground.

For the pumping it makes sense that perhaps the down pressure is being applied a little too early considering the larger wheel diameter. Will need to work on this.

More practice is required. Thanks all for the pointers and perspective.

·
Super Moderator
6,776 Posts
The 29er can manual and pump just as good as any BMX bike. You just need to adapt to the taller, heavier wheels and geometry. The rollover capabilities of the 29er is second to none. Stuff that would force a dismount on the 26er....is suddenly a no-brainer on the 29.

·
bikerbert
1,082 Posts
Timing in corners was brutal for me in the beginning. It was so easy to fly in and out of turns on my 26, big earning curve for me with the 29.

Once that fell in line, I've loved the bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
6,776 Posts
Once you get accustomed to the 29er and develop your "flow".....a 26er will never get a second glance.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good to read other people's success stories. Thanks. Having hit the trails a few times now the manuals are getting a little easier and starting to get the feel on how to pump different trail features. There is still a lot learning going on, in terms of getting a feel for how the bike handles. Looking forward to the point where everything is more muscle memory instead of exploration. For me once you get the point on your bike where all you do is look down the trail and instinct takes over is one of the best feelings.

·
Registered
9,467 Posts
The 29er can manual and pump just as good as any BMX bike.
The "Pumpiness" (actually, the ability to carry speed over pumpy terrain without pedaling) is one of the first things that drew me to big wheels. I won an informal chainless DH race against my buddies, many of whom are probably better riders, only because I could pump & carry speed with the big wheels where they lost momentum on their 26'ers.

Just like going from a 5" 26'er to a 7" 26'er, the timing of your weight shifts needs to adjust and it will take time. Generally bigger wheels mean you really need to exagerate your weight shifts, run a short stem and stay as far over the front wheel as you can handle. I have great rides and OK rides on my 29'ers, the great rides are the ones where I remember to stay out of the saddle and get my weight super forward (even on steep DH) and lean into corners. Also on tight switchbacks or corners where people complain about 29'ers, don't hesitate throw your weight forward, drop the inside foot & break the back end loose. Wheelbase is a moot point when your bike is a protractor rotating around the front wheel at the apex.

·
bikerbert
1,082 Posts
The "Pumpiness" (actually, the ability to carry speed over pumpy terrain without pedaling) is one of the first things that drew me to big wheels. I won an informal chainless DH race against my buddies, many of whom are probably better riders, only because I could pump & carry speed with the big wheels where they lost momentum on their 26'ers.

Just like going from a 5" 26'er to a 7" 26'er, the timing of your weight shifts needs to adjust and it will take time. Generally bigger wheels mean you really need to exagerate your weight shifts, run a short stem and stay as far over the front wheel as you can handle. I have great rides and OK rides on my 29'ers, the great rides are the ones where I remember to stay out of the saddle and get my weight super forward (even on steep DH) and lean into corners. Also on tight switchbacks or corners where people complain about 29'ers, don't hesitate throw your weight forward, drop the inside foot & break the back end loose. Wheelbase is a moot point when your bike is a protractor rotating around the front wheel at the apex.
Well said!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts