Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I had a decent crash last week, enough to break my 520 off the top cap mount (the mount broke, not the device tabs) and it took me quite some time to find.
I was on the verge on giving up as I was under some time pressure. It dawned on me afterwards that GoPro have the ability to beep if directed by a paired phone. In my case I was still very close to the device, only a metre, it was embedded in a rotten tree stump. But my phone was still paired to it, but I can't see anyway of making the Garmin beep like you can with a GoPro.

Has anyone dived into this at all? I've seen a few threads about devices lost in general, IE completed a ride and lost it somewhere, rather than being quite close to it.
And yes. I've added a tether to it now!

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Mine beeps when you turn livetrack off from the phone. But that would only be good for one beep, and I'm not sure if you can turn it back on when the unit is actively recording a ride.

You could turn bluetooth off on the phone and get the disconnect beep, but then you're running the risk it won't reconnect again.

Failing all that, you could take the battery out of a speed or cadence sensor and it should beep when you put it back in and it re-discovers the device. This wouldn't even require a phone.

·
EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
7,876 Posts
all my important stuff has tritium locators attached or embedded, so if lost, I go out at night with dark adjusted eyes/red leds to see trail, and mostly easy to find retracing steps
if lots of leaves use a stick as a probe and start sweeping

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.