Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted a thread in the 29er forum and they suggested I cross post here. This all started from my desire to bike to work as chronicled here.

Basically I am looking for a bike that I can start commuting in and expand to other activities once I get more into riding. I am 6'6" weighing in at 265 lbs with a 34" inseam on my jeans. Reading and researching over the last month or so I've narrowed down that I should get a mountain bike frame and gear in a 24" or more frame size with "29 inch" wheels.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
453 Posts
my thought, go to a local bike shop .. and see what fits you .. then go from there ... it will at least give you a starting point on the frame size ...

then you will need to get one, and ride it ... to figure out the other peices that are not obvious from just sitting on one and going around the parking lot a few times ...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
-Devil- said:
my thought, go to a local bike shop .. and see what fits you .. then go from there ... it will at least give you a starting point on the frame size ...

then you will need to get one, and ride it ... to figure out the other pieces that are not obvious from just sitting on one and going around the parking lot a few times ...
I've been to four of my local shops and none of them had anything my size. I'll keep going one by one till someone can help me.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Big bikes

Edwin,

Also check out some of the custom guys such as Waltworks and Eriksen if your wallet can lean that way. I am 6"2" and 265. I have had very good luck with Titus. they make the Racer X in a 29er and I have been riding one for several years with great success. They make an extra large stock frame which might be what you need. I would read the 29er forums but lately when newbies ask questions the folks there seem to delight in making people feel stupid. Good luck, there are a lot of nice bikes out there that will fit you.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I've been on the same search as yourself, and I am quite close to you as far as body size goes. 6'6" / Down to 254 lbs with a 35" inseam. I'm not sure you want a frame as large as a 24". I had a 24 or 25" specialized Hardrock Comp. Unless you plan to use it strictly as a commuter bike, I would get a little smaller frame. You said once you start getting into biking more, you want to be able to do more, and let me tell you, there was plenty of things I dare not try for fear of that top tube smacking me in the you know what, there just wasn't anywhere to manuevre on the bike. My next bike is going to be a large bullit frame size of 19" and top tube of 24". And although I'm not going to use it to commute, It'll give me plenty of space between me and the bike to push it a little. If you want a bike to commute with and then do a little off-roading sometimes you might try between 20-22 inches for a frame size. I know that my bike was awkward as hell when I tried to get on/off it. This is all just my opinion, just throwing my two cents at you. What it all comes down to is that, like the other guys said, go to a bike shop and try out some bikes, all different sizes and shapes, even if they aren't bikes you are looking at currently. Then out of the pieces and parts of bikes you like, you'll probably be able to find one that has the best, for you, from all of them.

Cheers, and happy hunting.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Check out Specialized

I am 6' 6" and trying to find a bike has been no fun at all until I hit up the local Specialized shop. Specialized makes 23" frames and they fit really, really well. I only tried out all Hardtails, but settled for a Rockhopper Comp. I almost went for a Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc 29er, but the price was a bit too much for the wife to handle. The 29'er they let me test ride was a 21" frame and it also was a good fit. They had them in 23's too, but that was way too much bike!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Im 6'6" and 235, with a 36" inseam, and i ride a 21" Jamis Durango. I tried the bigger bikes, but they just felt like they were going to be to big to throw around the trail. This one is just about a perfect fit for me and what i use it for.

·
Registered
364 Posts
You can't go that wrong with an XL Karate Monkey. I have one. I'm 6'5" tall, 300lbs, 36" bike inseam.

BTW, you should find your bike inseam if you haven't already. Measuring standover from your pants inseam will uh... limit your options.

The XL KM has an effective top tube of 25", which should be plenty. You can use a long stem and/or a layback seatpost if you need more room up there.

You can set up the KM all kinds of ways -- singlespeed, 3x9, and everything in between. Right now my KM is shod with Schwalbe Big Apple 2.35" tires, which are a lot of fun. Pot-holes, Schmot-holes.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm 6'5" and the Giant Boulder SE 22" frame I curently ride (I've only had it for about a month so far) has been a good fit for me even though I ride with the seat way up because of a knee injury (the seat post is set about halfway, so there is room to make the seat even higher). But then again, I live in Miami, and there are no mountains around here...

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Your legs aren't long enough to need 24" frame. You'll be fine on something like the Specialized Rockhopper 29er and a few other bikes (probably the 22" Kona 29ers too). You might have to suck it up and work with your LBSs to order something in - they will NEVER have stock of the big kit.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.