Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the market for a second bike. I am looking at 3 Fishers: hhek, tassajara and if it fits cobia. I haven't been able to find anything on weights, but are the fork and wheel upgrade on the hhek worth it. Or if I am not a competitive racer would a tassajara be fine.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Cobia

I love my Cobia. Grant it I've changed some items but very good frame and fork combo. Cobia frame is the same as the Mambs, X-Cal, and Paragon. Fork is the only difference. Weight I honestly couldn't tell you, sorry.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a 2005 HKEK and love it. It is all stock right now but, I am going to put disc brakes and a new wheelset on it this year.

·
DT
78 Posts
I've got an '09 Tassajara that I've been riding since September. It's a fantastic bike, especially for the price ($718 from Jenson).

I know what you you mean about the weights. It was tough getting any kind of solid info on these bikes. FYI my Tass weighed in at around 29.5lbs bone stock. I bought it with the intention of upgrading, so the differences in specs between the Tass and HKEK were irrelivant to me. I've since upgraded wheels, cranks, cassette, stem, handlebar, and seatpost. Now she weighs in at a more reasonable 26lbs and is super fast :thumbsup:

·
Registered
44 Posts
If you are considering dropping the doe on a Cobia. I would FULLY recommend the X-CAL.
Why?

One.) I have ordered one... so I am bias.. ;)
- X.7 upgrade from X.5
- Fox F80 RL from the Rockshox
- the brakes also start with Juicy's Vs. BB's

All of those upgrades are worth +500 to me.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Depends on what you are going to ride and how but the Tassajara is a solid ride as is the HKEK. Years ago I made the jump from the Tassajara I was going to buy to the Big Sur and never regretted it.

My advice would be to get as much bike as you want and can afford if you are going to use it. If you are going to hang it on the wall it doen't matter.

Since you say you are looking for a second bike, what is your first and how do you ride.
The Big Sur was my first mtb, my second is a Kona Dawg Deluxe. I still ride the Big Sur but the full squish is a lot of fun.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I ended up ordering the HKEK... I am doing some races this summer, so the upgrades should be good. I too have a full squish bike Kona Minxy (love it, just not going up hills).

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
My bud had a 2002 HKEK and it was nice.
My Big Sur is a 2003 one of my coworkers had a 2003 Tass and another bought a 2004 Marlin after seeing my bike. Another friend picked up a 2004 Tass after trying mine.

All of us were happy with the results. I moved back to SoCal and the guys I'm riding with now just go places I was getting shaken up pretty bad on the hardtail. I've been surprised how easy the Dawg is to climb on. People say they don't climb well but I've got no complaints and the suspension helps a lot with the knees. I'll take the extra climbing effort, if any, for the extra compliance on the downhill runs.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh no doubt I have out climbed several men on my little Minxy, but six inches a travel is a bit much for races and xterra tri. I might try to find some dh races to let my Minxy have some fun.

I even might make some upgrades on the HKEK, but i think it will make a great little race bike.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Well it looks pretty well speced out. I like the color.
You've been riding so you probably know what you want to do.

About the only thing I might worry about would be the brakes but I tend to ride what it came with until it either quits or I decide I've got to upgrade it.

The standard stuff that may need attention...
Saddle, assuming the Bontrager is still as uncomfortable as they used to be. Of course it may be just that it is more uncomfortable for BUDs (Big Ugly Dudes).

Pedals, I like Crank Brother's Mallets better than Shimanos even if they do add weight.

Tires, maybe, at least they aren't the Jones everyone complained about a year or two ago. Out here I always add tire liners since I haven't gone tubeless yet.

Bashring, you don't have to have it but again I like the Blackspire Big Ring with the triples. Saves the rings AND your legs.

When the grips wear out replacing them with ODI lock ons and Hope bar end caps makes some sense. I love the texture of the Ruffian but the diameter of the Rogue is better for my hand size even with full finger gloves.

I added a N-gear Jumpstop to the Big Sur. It seems to help keep the chain in place.
Chainstay protection would probably be a good idea. Lizardskin is ok and simple but there may be better ideas.

You're going to like how it wants to go when you hit the cranks.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts