Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought this would be a fun idea.
This is a game, the concept is to take an image with a specific goal. The poster will then say another spot, object, or what have you to have in the next photo with your bike.
Lets start this off with a picture from last summer
"A Pic with a good friend"

Challenge for next to accept, a picture with the sun. Good luck and have fun with it! :thumbsup:

Attachments

·
b a n n e d
6,213 Posts
This can be loads of fun, and I've seen it set up in all sorts of ways . . . . we could instill a Tiered system with easy, medium and hard challenges and each one is worth 1, 2 or 3 points respectively. Take the pic, post it up and set a new challenge. If multiple people post the same challenger, order is awarded based on how they show up in the thread.

Easy: Picture with the sun
Medium: Picture with one wheel off the ground
Hard: Picture of a bent derailleur hanger with the object that did it

Edit: If this gets going, we should push for a sticky!

·
Registered
812 Posts
The muted sun, seen through smoke from bush fires. Shot on the Bicentennial National Trail in the NW of the Australian Capital Territory.

The next challenge is, Sunday's ride.

Good luck, and show us Sunday.

Warren.

·
b a n n e d
6,213 Posts
Are the pictures supposed to be bike related?
Bike, biking, riding, etc. So for example, the pic above (as nice as it is) should have had a bike in it!

The "mission/objective/goal" needs to be specific . . .

·
Registered
812 Posts
Are the pictures supposed to be bike related?
Bike, biking, riding, etc. So for example, the pic above (as nice as it is) should have had a bike in it!

The "mission/objective/goal" needs to be specific . . .
I thought is was.

I followed the original poster word for word, "The poster will then say another spot, object, or what have you to have in the next photo with your bike.

The author wrote, "Challenge for next to accept, a picture with the sun."

That makes me the poster, "The poster will then say another spot, object, or what have you to have in the next photo with your bike.

To cater for everyone understanding, I'll repost with my bike and the sun.

The next challenge remains, Sunday's ride.

Good luck, and show us Sunday.

Warren.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Those are both awesome pics guys. Keep it going!

That picture I posted was from a group ride, not ragbrai. Lol

·
Registered
812 Posts
Sunday's Ride: my first ride of 2013, this past Sunday
mtn.skratch, Hello Mate.

The challenge was Sunday's ride. How do I know this is Sunday ... it looks like any old day of the week. Why can't I look at the shot and identify Sunday in the image?

Please don't think that I'm being contrary. My challenge, that you took, was an assignment that was given to me when I was a student studying photography and the lecturer said to me ... "You failed the assignment, because I can't see Sunday in the shots." The lecturer was right. I knew what I did on several Sundays shooting the assignment but the lecturer didn't see it.

I learnt a lot about what was expected after I failed that assignment. The lecturer allowed me to reshoot the assignment. I think that I did badly in the reshoot too, if I remember correctly.

I eventually reshot the assignment a third time, and included people walking into a Sunday service at a church. Another was cleaning up a mess after a party, the typical Sunday morning party clean up and a Sunday newspaper in the foreground of another shot.

Doing good editorial photography is not easy. Join the club.

Warren.

·
boxcar
564 Posts
mtn.skratch, Hello Mate.

The challenge was Sunday's ride. How do I know this is Sunday ... it looks like any old day of the week. Why can't I look at the shot and identify Sunday in the image?

Please don't think that I'm being contrary. My challenge, that you took, was an assignment that was given to me when I was a student studying photography and the lecturer said to me ... "You failed the assignment, because I can't see Sunday in the shots." The lecturer was right. I knew what I did on several Sundays shooting the assignment but the lecturer didn't see it.

I learnt a lot about what was expected after I failed that assignment. The lecturer allowed me to reshoot the assignment. I think that I did badly in the reshoot too, if I remember correctly.

I eventually reshot the assignment a third time, and included people walking into a Sunday service at a church. Another was cleaning up a mess after a party, the typical Sunday morning party clean up and a Sunday newspaper in the foreground of another shot.

Doing good editorial photography is not easy. Join the club.

Warren.
Well, there are Rainday rides, Snowday rides, and of course Sunday rides...my pic has the sun shining right down from the upper left corner, hence Sunday ride:p;)

·
Registered
4,065 Posts
Doing good editorial photography is not easy.
True, but this is an internet forums game. Game being the operative word. This isn't a photography class for grades, it's not a National Geographic assignment nor is it anything that will be vying for a Pulitzer.

For that reason, I think we can either take the posters word that it was a Sunday ride. I suppose we could all post the pictures somewhere that doesn't strip out the exif data so the date of the photograph can be verified.

But again, the bottom line is that this is supposed to be a fun game, so as the saying goes... "lighten up, Francis!" ;)

·
Registered
812 Posts
True, but this is an internet forums game. Game being the operative word. This isn't a photography class ... it's not a National Geographic assignment nor is it anything that will be vying for a Pulitzer.
Skiahh, G'day.

I wasn't implying that this game is anything more than a game and in the authors words it is also "a challenge."

The word challenge doesn't have to exclude fun, nor should it, nor should the word challenge be dumbed down so that every child wins a prize. Some of us like a challenge, I certainly do.

By the way, the word editorial in relation to photography, doesn't mean shot to a publication quality, it only means illustrating something specific. To quote the author, "This is a game, the concept is to take an image with a specific goal".

I'm the one who created that specific challenge. I have the right to say whether I think it was adequately fulfilled and if I do or I don't, I'll also say why.

Skiahh, if you want to over-react to the way I post, please be my guest.

Warren.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts