Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After being on here for a year I finally pulled the trigger... I got my son a 2013 Trek Wahoo and I got myself the Airborne Seeker... So what do I need now? Any good seats for a good price. Don't wanna go crazy yet but the seat on the Wahoo sucks and don't know what the Seeker seat is like since it arrives Saturday. Helmets? What else?

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
Seats? EBay or lbs look for take offs. What else? Frame pump saddle bag patch kit multitool chain break, water bottles cages spare tubes etc

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
14,043 Posts

·
Registered
14,856 Posts
If your a new rider all seats suck for the first couple hundred miles, no saddle will alleviate the break in period your arse must endure. No worries though, that part will soon be history. Enjoy the ride!

·
Fat-tired Roadie
18,453 Posts
Check out the MTB packing list sticky. I probably don't take everything on the list, but I always take a multi tool and a flat kit, and try to take a spare chain link too.

I always wear gloves. Not that my hands ever hit the trail, of course. :skep:

·
Registered
756 Posts
If you are just starting out, here are a couple of suggestions that won't break the bank...

A guy in my neighborhood who has been riding mtbs forever told me the most comfortable seat for him is a WTB Pure V. I have been using them and I like them but YMMV. I am coming from a Brooks on my road bike.

You may want to look at padded shorts or at least a padded liner.

MG-1's are fairly inexpensive platforms and can be had on ebay for under $40. Shoes are up to you, generally flat skate shoes work great. I'm old and I use a low tread hiking shoe because I sometimes have to hike up or down sections.

I use a multi-purpose bike helmet with a visor and road gloves. This choice depends on where and how you ride.

You'll need a couple of water bottles or a camelback. You have to have water out on the trail.

As others have said... a multi-tool, tubes, patch kit, maybe tire levers... and most importantly a pump. You can be the best at fixing flats but without air you are going nowhere.

John

·
Registered
32 Posts
I would for sure get yourself a camelback or some kind of hydration pack can keep all your crap in and drink from it too.

·
29ers Forever
2021 Rocky Mountain Altitude A70
3,425 Posts
WTB Silverado saddles are nice. Get some medal flat pedals to replace the cheap plastic flat pedals.

·
Kitty! Kitty! Kitty!
1,080 Posts
My advice on saddles is to buy a Vader saddle off of eBay. They have cheap (price and quality) saddles that are imitations of high end saddles. You can get several of them of different types to see what you like. They're about $11 each. Good way to test out different saddles without being out a ton of money.
They're not great quality, but it's an option if you don't know what you like.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks guys. I ordered the MG-1's for the Seeker and they look great. I wanted all black pedals with black spindles but they sent out the ones with chrome spindles but they still feel great and got them on amazon for a good price. I also got a small pump. I also got the cat eye bottle cages and have two water bottles on the bike. I'll look for a multi tool and some tubes. Just put it together so I'll be posting pics tomorrow.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Relief I use on my trails...

Along with all the other good advice for the seat issue I wear a Canari liner short with the chamois inserts. It helps but not a fix all. I suggest since your a newbie you might also want to carry a small bottle of Bactine Spray on your rides. You will be eating some dirt and the majority of those injuries are scraped up shins. Mountain Bike Action magazine, pinkbike dot com, and many other sites will have lots of great info. When in doubt YouTube baby, or your local LBS...;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts