Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
I Love my Rize
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well about time we got some serious ice here. Let me explain, my brother and I bought 2 sets of Nokian Extreme 294 studded tires for this winter but the problem is we don't have any ice or snow :madman: :cryin: Well this morning when I woke up all the streets were GLARE ICE. I mean GLARE. As soon as I seen that I got a chubby :ihih: Woke up at 7 am and put my Nokians on like a crazed animal. Next thing you know my bro is im me and he feels a a kid on Xmas morn. Went over his house (wicked ride on glare) and hooked up with him and we went out looking for the glareest and slickest ice to play on. We found what we wanted and let me tell you we couldn't believe how good the Nokian
294's are. Simply AMAZING (felt like dirt) You see we ride every winter in ice and snow and I can't count how many times we wiped out in a blink of an eye on ice so as you can see how freakin' pleased we were. All I can say is bring on the glare and can't wait to be riding ponds and stuff if it gets cold enough. NOKIANS RULE. If you were to get studs I would get the 294 version as the 120 are decent I would believe but it was nice to have so many studs as we needed them. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Keep the stud side down :D

·
I Love my Rize
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The best is yet to come

SuperKat7 said:
I heard there was a wicked ice storm up north. Where are you guys?
Glad you had fun...
Hi Kat, we are from Schenectady (Albany area) the glare lasted till about 9 am then the warmer temps made it less fun but tonight after it cooled off we went back out and we found a elevated pedestrian bridge with a walkway that is concrete and has a steep climb and descent and it was the glarest ice I have ever been on :yikes: . We were kinda nervous as it was that bad and had a bunch of extreme cut back turns on it and like I said the grade was there. You could NEVER walk crawl or scratch your way up it but the Nokians cruised right up it and down again. The tires spun a coupla times just a little bit but not bad but went right up and down without incident :yawn: . I don't think you could get a slicker circumstance. Are butts were so puckered we couldn't fart :ciappa: . Fun stuff. You can't lean them over that much but they stay hooked up like magic with a little care. If you were to fall :nono: you would have been going 30 mph in about 2 seconds on your side with your bike with you until you hit something hard to stop you ...ouch :yikes: . Sunday and monday the good stuff is coming.........can't wait :D :band:

·
I wear two thongs
1,675 Posts
I got out this morning with my Nokian extreme 120 on the roads and snapped a couple pictures with my phone. I figured since these pictures were taken from the same town as Danoalb Id put 'em up here.

At first I wanted to get a feel for riding on ice, seeing as I only have a studded front tire so I had to get used to the rear traction issues. I started out on some Ice covered grass/dirt in a park down the street from me. Heres a picture showing the impact the ice is having on the trees:

Heres another shot from that same park trying to show the ice coating everything it fell on.

When I was out the salters had already come by and the roads were slick but a little too grippy to get that out of controll ice riding experience. I then decided to pedal out to a closed bridge where I knew that the road surface hadnt been touched. Let me tell you having no studs in the rear made it tricky. My only saving grace was that my gearing was a light pedaling 32:18 so I could feather the bike up the bridge and not slip out too much. Heres the steed on top of the bridge along with the ice coating the train tracks

I then crossed the bridge and headed on my way down the other side. Decending the bridge was much easier as the studs did an amazing job of keeping my bike under controll. I then looped the roads back and crossed the train tracks heres a picture looking down the train tracks at the bridge that the last picture was taken on (you can barely see the bridge but I assure you its there):

Shortly there after it began to rain a bit harder and I didnt want to risk having my phone out in the wet conditions so I wasnt able to snap any more pictures. Overall my first Icebike experience was a really fun one. Also the crazy looks and comments I was getting from all the people outside deicing their... well everythings, was priceless.

·
DeForest Stump
972 Posts
nice pics. I know what you mean about not having studs, either front or rear can be tricky. you can be riding along and BAM down you go. elbow pads are a good idea here. riding in snow/ice is one of my faves, looking forward to getting out there myself soon.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.