Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
I ride with tools
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of you who have been coming here for a few years may remember this thread. I thought it was pretty entertaining, but other peoples' mileage may vary.

Three years later, I still never ride without a can of pepper spray clipped to my shoulder strap. A couple of months ago, I did a ride from my house (which I rarely do) and upon my return the neighbors' pit bull was running loose. Like many pit bulls, Gus is pretty unpredictable. He made for my ankle but I had seen him coming and had the spray out. I shot him directly in the face and it barely deterred him. He looked fine but kept his distance, and I was also intact - a win / win situation.

Then about a month ago, a friend and I were riding up a dirt road to access some trails when a lady came walking toward us with 3 dogs. They were all happy to see us approaching, but after we rode by we became something to chase instead. One was getting withing biting distance of my right foot. My approach to this situation is "better safe than sorry". I deployed the smallest possible amount of spray, about a quarter-second burst. The dog instantly disappeared.

We can all agree that dog owners, not dogs, should be accountable for misbehaving dogs. But when you're on the bike and a bite is imminent is not the time to discuss training techniques or call in Cesar Milan. And maybe that dog will think twice before he goes after a bike rider again.

·
Linoleum Knife
3,323 Posts
Fix Yer Link!

Heh - back in 2005 there were 2 kinds of dogs.
My Dog
Not My Dog.

Nowadays they are all NOT MY DOG, and I heartily promote the pepper spraying of them. I kicked one in the snout a few weeks ago. The owner just couldn't understand why I was so mean. It's mostly because I'm very attached to my ankles.

I wouldn't want to kick a pit bull though - I'd probably break a toe, and he wouldn't even notice.

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
Then about a month ago, a friend and I were riding up a dirt road to access some trails when a lady came walking toward us with 3 dogs. They were all happy to see us approaching, but after we rode by we became something to chase instead. One was getting withing biting distance of my right foot. My approach to this situation is "better safe than sorry". I deployed the smallest possible amount of spray, about a quarter-second burst. The dog instantly disappeared.

We can all agree that dog owners, not dogs, should be accountable

Shoulda combined the story with the opinion and gone back and pepper sprayed the owner.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Sucks you've had all these bad experiences with dogs. Last time I went riding in Austin a couple was walking a pit bull type dog without a leash (STUPID!) and it started running after me as I rode by. It stayed right off my back wheel for about 20 yards until I stopped. The dog was looking at me like he was sad I stopped. Turns out the couple was dog sitting him and his owner takes him for rides. I thought that was kinda cool, and I'm glad I didn't kick him when the thought crossed my mind.

·
Registered
751 Posts
BikinAggie said:
Sucks you've had all these bad experiences with dogs. Last time I went riding in Austin a couple was walking a pit bull type dog without a leash (STUPID!) and it started running after me as I rode by. It stayed right off my back wheel for about 20 yards until I stopped. The dog was looking at me like he was sad I stopped. Turns out the couple was dog sitting him and his owner takes him for rides. I thought that was kinda cool, and I'm glad I didn't kick him when the thought crossed my mind.
i'd seriously start crying if i found out that bit of info AFTER i maced the poor dog...

·
No really, I am that slow
464 Posts
Happens to me all the time. I'm JRA on my road bike & some clown on a MTB gets in my face about how he waved to me & I didn't say hi, like I'm supposed to be his friend. Sheesh. A quick blast & I'm on my way (tho' he's not on his).

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I was doing a gravel road ride near Warrensburg, MO when I spotted two beagel puppies hauling tail across the Looong fron yard. They were going to intercept and kill me. As our paths met, me all alone and them a vicious pair, they lunged. I unclipped and slightly punted one dog into the other. Oh that pissed them off proper...at each other. I looked back as i rode away only to see a nasty, rolling, dusty, brutal dog fight between the two. It was cute, sad and hilarious at the same time.

·
rides with camera
894 Posts
Crockpot2001 said:
. I unclipped and slightly punted one dog into the other. Oh that pissed them off proper...at each other. I looked back as i rode away only to see a nasty, rolling, dusty, brutal dog fight between the two. It was cute, sad and hilarious at the same time.
Sorry but that is freakin hilarious ! Good job:thumbsup:

·
Registered
783 Posts
TrekFan said:
i'd seriously start crying if i found out that bit of info AFTER i maced the poor dog...
Why should you feel sorry for the stupidity of others? It is the owner's/caretaker's responsibility to ensure the animal and others are safe. I dogsit occasionally and make sure of that.

Running a dog without a leash where he can chase others is just damn reckless. And illegal in most locales. I would not cry one bit for defending my hide from a pitbull I perceived as a threat, and yes I love dogs too.

But I also love my well being. Guess which one I'm going to pick?

·
Banned
16,457 Posts
Bikinfoolferlife said:

We can all agree that dog owners, not dogs, should be accountable

Shoulda combined the story with the opinion and gone back and pepper sprayed the owner.
I've been bitten twice by a dog owned by an owner that tried to minimize it. While they were luckily both nips, they did break skin. Both times the owners came over and acted like it was nothing, the first one even laughing "Oh, it's just a scratch...my dog was just playing". Next time, I will spray the owner and the dog. What are the repercussions? Essentially none out there.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
sherijumper said:
Sorry but that is freakin hilarious ! Good job:thumbsup:
Really was sad too but I could not stop laughing.

I restrianed myself from writing this part but here goes; I later found out that the guy I was riding on that very ride with turned out to be totally addicted to 'scrip pills and was jacked up on that ride. He was totally bawling while we rode away from the puppies. I'm telling you, it was just the whole damned gumball machine right there boy.

I gotta write a book about my return to school. Dead guys, Asian gangs in Lawrence, KS., cats that can't see in the dark and much more. Sheez, college at almost 40 rules!

·
ZEN RIDER!
950 Posts
The worse thing you can do when a dog comes after you is to run. Instinct kicks in & you've just become prey. Get off your bike & stand your ground & stay calm & assertive. Dogs feed off energy & body posture as they are pack animals. You need to establish dominance.
If needs be keep your bike between you & the dog. I usually take a more asertive approach & posture up on the dog. Most dogs will back down, especially if they are away from home. Plus most dogs today aren't in shape & a few kicks & they''ll get the message.
My mom is pretty tuff when it comes to horses & dogs & she tollerates very little. I've seen her collor dogs with her car keys in there neck & flip them over. Fricken hilarious, the dog never knows what just happened & the owners just stare in shock.

a few quick stories, last year I was running on the rail trail cross training & had my head phones on & i pass a couple & there dog. The dog comes at me off leash & goes to bite me from the side. I never missed a step, I just turned & kneed it once in the chest & followed it up with a good blow to the head with my other knee. The dog beet feet after that & stood behind its owners who apologized profusely.
..........in high school we had a local dog that loved to chase everyone & bite. well after chasing a buddy & making him eat pavement we decided not to back down. Long story short we used to ride at the dog & eventually my buddy ended up getting revenge by running the dog over with his bike. wheelied right on top of it. had bits of fur stick to his big chain ring.

·
(enter witty phrase here)
2,250 Posts
Jim Beam said:
We can all agree that dog owners, not dogs, should be accountable for misbehaving dogs.
Exactly. Spray the dog to defend yourself.
Spray the owner for punishment and retribution. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Defend yourself how you can but pepperspray does not usualy work on dogs. The sound of the spray & the fact that something strange happened may stop them or stun them but it's not the effect of the spray. So be careful because if a dog really is wanting to attack such as a trained guard dog, pepper spray won't stop him one second. Maybe if you used bear pepper spray or one specifically for dogs, I'm not sure about those products.Also I have come across more aggresive Chihuahua's and Cocker's than any other breed of dogs, they just can't cause as much damage as the few aggresive pits if they get you. Have anyone ever been attacked by Javalina's? I had to use my bike to defend myself once when I accidently came up on them, they had little ones so that's why they attacked, now that will scare the hell out of ya! they eventualy ran off and no one got hurt. Fun times.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.