Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Retro Grouch
2,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes!! the ESI grips pushed it under the bar. If you haven’t been following the saga here’s the build.

Bontager Racelite frame
SS conversion w/ Sub 11 dropouts and rigid fork
Sun Mach 5 hubs laced to Surly hubs
OEM Suntour levers and Dia Comp brakes
FSA Ti BB
Bontrager/ Titec carbon stem
Bontrager 620 Racelite bar
Bontrager Mag barends
Bontrager crank set (from Spike’s Rig)
Setti Ti Sandle
Time Carbon Ti pedals
IBIS 0 rise 100mm Ti stem
Misc Ti Hardware including front axle and hollow cromo axle for the rear
King Ti Water Bottle cage
ESI Silicone grips (these are tits)
Performance Lunar lite tubes
Hutchison Python tires, 2.0 rear, 2.3 front
Cane Creek S-2 headset.

Digital scale weight 19.88 lbs.

My goal was 20 lbs, but this is a bike that’s going to be ridden, so I wanted it to stay together. I also wanted the weight to include pedals ($240) and a water bottle cage ($55), which turned out to be my most over the top purchases. As a retro bike I still have the Bonty stem and Race seat (with an extra 620 bar), which I can throw on in a moments notice (photo #2).

Spike and I took our bikes (he of the Rig w/ Hunter rigid fork) through and up Nisene Marks, a loop through Braille and then back up Buzzard Lagoon and home; my first epic MTB ride in maybe two years. Lessoned learned, when your doctor stops listening to you, it’s time for a new doctor. Look where you want to go..

1G1G, Brad

Attachments

·
Registered
219 Posts
It's a shame, but by my calculations that second cage would put you a thousandth of a pound over 20. Otherwise, it would totally be worth it to use that other mount. ;) Maybe you could put it in some acid for a half a sec or something. :D

·
Retro Grouch
2,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
One of a kind?

vwmtnbiker said:
where did you get your axels from? i have been looking for ti axels for my surly hubs and so far have struck out.
Sorry bud, I looked through my receipts and could not find the source. I do remember it took a lot of searching and then, the one I bought, showed up on an ebay store. Good hunting.

1G1G, Brad

·
Registered
135 Posts
Why canti's?
I believe KB designed one of the early v-brake's...if you're trying to maintain retro, you can still use v's along that line of logic. :)

Not that there's anything wrong with cantis besides sore/tired hands on long dh's..

·
Registered
27 Posts
aka brad said:
Sorry bud, I looked through my receipts and could not find the source. I do remember it took a lot of searching and then, the one I bought, showed up on an ebay store. Good hunting.

1G1G, Brad
thats cool...im on a quest...hopefully i'll have your luck and find some...do you remember how much they were?

·
Retro Grouch
2,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
It came with the armor..

Knuckles said:
Why canti's?
I believe KB designed one of the early v-brake's...if you're trying to maintain retro, you can still use v's along that line of logic. :)

Not that there's anything wrong with cantis besides sore/tired hands on long dh's..
Actually V brakes were not a favorite of Keith's i.e. this Rant..

http://web.archive.org/web/20000819042455/www.bontrager.com/rants_f1.html "V Brakes - the best brake in the universe"

Besides there is nothing retro about V-brakes :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono:

1G1G, Brad

·
velocipede technician
8,877 Posts

·
Retro Grouch
2,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Considering the bike was free..

NardoSS said:
Pretty damn cool. What was your final cost?
and about 1/3 of the parts were out of the bin, I still had to put about $1500 into it; Ti is expensive :) ;) :) ;) :) ;) :thumbsup:

Brad

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.