Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Living the High Life
4,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always wondered about the left lane campers. Sure they're going the speed limit, but they get passed on the right. Isn't that more of a hazard than going 10 over? Apparently people are starting to realize that.

http://articles.moneycentral.msn.co...rCar/left-lane-slowpokes-drive-you-crazy.aspx

I usually give people time. But after a few minutes I'll warn my passengers "I'm going to drive like an A-Hole now".

Ever had to pass using the far right lane on I-70 because 2 people are going 65 mph side by side in the left and center lane? Exactly.

·
holding back the darkness
1,734 Posts
The true problem here is not solvable through enforcement. It is the crux of humanity. The issue at the heart of most of our issues as a society and as a race.
People are oblivious. People live in little impermeable bubbles of self-concern. I believe that most of those folks aren't camped out in the left lane out of malice or disdain for other drivers, it's just that they exist under the pretext that the rest of the motorist world revolves around them, and so why shouldn't traffic simply conform to their will as well?
People are idiots. I really hate to say it because as I do I will also admit that I have great love and respect for my fellow humans, but I also harbor an equal cavernous hole of disappointment in my heart for people who fail to utilize their brains and plod through their existence with their minds disengaged. Like the left-lane campers.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Ithnu said:
I've always wondered about the left lane campers. Sure they're going the speed limit, but they get passed on the right. Isn't that more of a hazard than going 10 over? Apparently people are starting to realize that.

http://articles.moneycentral.msn.co...rCar/left-lane-slowpokes-drive-you-crazy.aspx

I usually give people time. But after a few minutes I'll warn my passengers "I'm going to drive like an A-Hole now".

Ever had to pass using the far right lane on I-70 because 2 people are going 65 mph side by side in the left and center lane? Exactly.
By far and away, my biggest driving issue. In a tourist town, like Durango, it is even worse as we have lots of out-of-towners who are apparently here on a mental vacation as well.

·
Moosehead
1,908 Posts
halleleujah to the thought of fast lane squatters getting ticketed, or creepers that move into left lanes without any regard for upcoming traffic or flow. i've tried in vain for years to edumacate slopokin, using both nice and aggressive techniques. unfortunately it's regularly safer and feasible to pass in the right lane, espec on I70. before anyone freaks, i always yield and am nice guy on the mtbr trails.

·
Living the High Life
4,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
subliminalshiver said:
It is the crux of humanity. People are idiots. Like the left-lane campers.
Summed it up for ya:thumbsup: I agree though, its the thought that we are all beautiful and unique snowflakes, but really we are the same decaying matter as anything else. <-- a bit of the Tyler Durden philosophy there.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Glad it is finally getting some publicity.

Generally speaking, I do believe that folks who go less than the speed limit are more dangerous than those who go over. (All other factors remaining the same)

stupid unique snowflakes...;)

·
Living the High Life
4,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You know Ryan, I've known your screen name for a long time, I just realized what it means:p

·
Rolling
11,120 Posts
The impeding the flow of traffic law was passed in Colorado a couple years ago but i have seen no effect of it's passage.

·
Now with 20% more fat!!
2,031 Posts
While I agree with subliminalshiver's point about some of them being oblivious, I've known a couple people who actually do get off on pissing people off by driving slowly in the fast lane. I wouldn't have believed it had I not heard it with my very own ears (like I could hear it with someone else's?). Anyway, a woman I support at work mentioned that she had a great drive to work one day. She explained how much she loved to piss people off by driving slowly in the fast lane and make the drivers behind her go crazy. The drivers who became incredibly agitated made her the happiest, because then she "owned them" and made them "her b*tch", as she put it... She would slow down and drive next to cars while the person behind her went absolutely nuts, sending shivers of joy up and down her spine. Then she'd speed up and race them so they couldn't pass when there were no cars in the opposite lane, only to slow back down and drive next to another car as soon as possible. She did it as often as possible, because it was such a fun game for her. I've since heard another guy basically say the same thing... So those freaks are out there. While I don't believe those people represent the majority of left-lane campers, I know they exist.

I remember in Los Angeles (20 years ago) we had a law that big semi trucks weren't allowed in the fast lane except to pass, or would be given a $150 fine... I could support a no big-rig trucks in the fast lane (except to pass) law.

·
Heads up Flyboy!!
3,165 Posts
Coming from the Nascar lovin East Coast...I call these people Pole Posistioners and they exsist on every road out there...Last night headed south on 93...south lane single file, guy in front of me was going 45-55 speeding up slowing down...went to pass when the south side became double lanes and he sped up to 75 to keep me and the car behind me from passing...back to single file and he slowed back to to his yoyoing 45-55mph....I need Nitrous on the Altima to handle these fools.

·
Living the High Life
4,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
mountaingoatepics said:
...went to pass when the south side became double lanes and he sped up to 75 to keep me and the car behind me from passing...back to single file and he slowed back to to his yoyoing 45-55mph....I need Nitrous on the Altima to handle these fools.
I had a guy try that, and I toasted his stupid coffee can muffler 4 banger with my truck:p

·
Heathen
768 Posts
left lane campers, that's by far my biggest issue with drivers.

Next is parking outside the lines. I want a law making it legal to slash tires and key paint on any vehicle not parked entirely in it's own space. The more expensive the car, the more damage allowed.

·
Heathen
768 Posts
JSD303 said:
While I agree with subliminalshiver's point about some of them being oblivious, I've known a couple people who actually do get off on pissing people off by driving slowly in the fast lane. I wouldn't have believed it had I not heard it with my very own ears (like I could hear it with someone else's?). Anyway, a woman I support at work mentioned that she had a great drive to work one day. She explained how much she loved to piss people off by driving slowly in the fast lane and make the drivers behind her go crazy. The drivers who became incredibly agitated made her the happiest, because then she "owned them" and made them "her b*tch", as she put it... She would slow down and drive next to cars while the person behind her went absolutely nuts, sending shivers of joy up and down her spine. Then she'd speed up and race them so they couldn't pass when there were no cars in the opposite lane, only to slow back down and drive next to another car as soon as possible. She did it as often as possible, because it was such a fun game for her. I've since heard another guy basically say the same thing... So those freaks are out there. While I don't believe those people represent the majority of left-lane campers, I know they exist.
I've encountered the same thing including a friend back in college that refused to let anyone pass him on the right. He'd get p!ssed and speed up.

·
holding back the darkness
1,734 Posts
All this lends credence to what I've been saying all along. Cars need weapon systems. In high school a friend of mine built a lard cannon that we intended to install on my car. The project was stalled due to a aqua-net fireball that sent me to the ER. But maybe the time has come to bring the old lard cannon out of mothballs....

·
Heathen
768 Posts
subliminalshiver said:
All this lends credence to what I've been saying all along. Cars need weapon systems. In high school a friend of mine built a lard cannon that we intended to install on my car. The project was stalled due to a aqua-net fireball that sent me to the ER. But maybe the time has come to bring the old lard cannon out of mothballs....
When can you install this on my XTerra? Make that 4, one facing each direction.

·
Bad Andy
877 Posts
mountaingoatepics said:
Last night headed south on 93...south lane single file, guy in front of me was going 45-55 speeding up slowing down...went to pass when the south side became double lanes and he sped up to 75 to keep me and the car behind me from passing...back to single file and he slowed back to to his yoyoing 45-55mph
Sorry - that was me - I was pissed at you for making me go ride what felt like 35 miles in 6" of snow.

TooManyToyz said:
Next is parking outside the lines. I want a law making it legal to slash tires and key paint on any vehicle not parked entirely in it's own space. The more expensive the car, the more damage allowed.
What if they're parked at an angle/outside the lines way out in the lot where noone else is? Still OK to vandalize the car? Or just OK then to park right beside them in that case? A lady does that with her Caddy here at work, and I give her a little grief about it.

·
Heathen
768 Posts
andychrysler said:
What if they're parked at an angle/outside the lines way out in the lot where noone else is? Still OK to vandalize the car? Or just OK then to park right beside them in that case? A lady does that with her Caddy here at work, and I give her a little grief about it.
No exceptions!! Infact, use a sledgehammer since you have already warned her. :D

·
bacon! bacon! bacon!
12,423 Posts
lidarman said:
The impeding the flow of traffic law was passed in Colorado a couple years ago but i have seen no effect of it's passage.
Yup.

It doesn't work here.

There aren't enough State Troopers to hand out tickets for this infraction.

Sadly... I think it will continue business as usual.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts