Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went ahead and ordered some a new wheelset last night. Just want to say thanks to Chad at Red Barn, he's a real stand up guy. Answered all emails promptly with good information. His price was hard to beat.

I ended up getting a set of Hadley hubs laced to Mavic XM819 rims with DT Competition spokes and brass nipples. Would have liked to go with Flows, but Chad said they don't stand up well to too much spoke tension, and I don't trust my local shops to know not to over tension them. Chad recommended the XM819 instead.

I can't wait to get them. Chad said it would take about 2 1/2 weeks, due to needing to order the hubs, and get some other jobs finished (not bad in my book for how busy they are and having to order hubs). Anyone looking for wheels, I highly recommend dropping them an email. And, thanks to those on this board for recommending I call them, it worked out perfectly.

Thanks Red Barn
Randy

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Yeah, I've talked to Chad on the phone. Very helpful. I highly recommend Red Barn--even though I didn't end up ordering my wheels from them. Unfortunately, Red Barn didn't stock what I wanted, and I ended up getting my wheels elsewhere: 32 hole Hadley's and Flow rims(also not what I wanted, which was a really burly set of 36 hole wheels, but I ended up settling for what was available). Also, the Flow rims are expensive--they increase the price of the wheelset by $100. It would be interesting to compare notes on the Flow v. XM819. I assume you plan on setting them up tubeless since you were interested in the Flows??

Looking at the Mavic website, I see that the XM819 can only accomodate tire sizes up to 2.30. Are you aware of that? I didn't consider that rim because I wanted to be able to run wider tires--I was looking at the EN521.

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
Yeah, I've talked to Chad on the phone. Very helpful. I highly recommend Red Barn--even though I didn't end up ordering my wheels from them. Unfortunately, Red Barn didn't stock what I wanted, and I ended up getting my wheels elsewhere: 32 hole Hadley's and Flow rims(also not what I wanted, which was a really burly set of 36 hole wheels, but I ended up settling for what was available). Also, the Flow rims are expensive--they increase the price of the wheelset by $100. It would be interesting to compare notes on the Flow v. XM819. I assume you plan on setting them up tubeless since you were interested in the Flows??

Looking at the Mavic website, I see that the XM819 can only accomodate tire sizes up to 2.30. Are you aware of that? I didn't consider that rim because I wanted to be able to run wider tires--I was looking at the EN521.
I have a 36 hole burly WTB Laserdisc DH wheelset that I'd make you a great deal on for those Hadley's laced to Flows!

Let me know,

G

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Yeah, Chad mentioned that the XM819 used smaller volume tires, which I am OK with since I usually run Mountain King and Race King 2.2s.

·
Registered
8,308 Posts
+1 on Chad at Red Barn.

Chad build me my first "real" set of wheels 6 years ago. I am STILL using the same front wheel for trail/AM riding to this day! The rear held up great until there was a problem with the hub, at which point I got a new CK HD rear laced up by chad (that was 3 years ago) and it is still rolling strong. I am about to cut the hub out of a different wheel and send it his way...he knows what to do up there.

FWIW, I broke a couple spokes on one of the wheels and kept on riding...for a couple weeks. I took it to the LBS for a re-spoking, and they were amazed at how true the wheels still were despite having been ridden hard with the missing pieces.

And besides the great hand-built wheels, he stocks about everything else I want/need...

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Chad's prices did not seem any more than places like universal cycles or chain reaction for the same type of wheelset. I think I got better and a more personal service though. He really took his time on the phone with me to make sure I ordered what was best for me. I highly recommend giving him a call. To me the wheels are built very well, and seem to have come properly tensioned.

·
Registered
710 Posts
+1 on Chad & Red Barn. Built up my Hadley/Flows and my Mojo HD (sent him the frame) ~18 months ago. Great guy and great wheels. Very competitive on everything you need.

·
Perpetual Hack
2,194 Posts
+1 again.

I live in Ontario Canada and Chad / RedBarn is my LBS.

michael

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.