Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
BrassBalled DropbarNinja
11,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ride report Day1. *Stock Zone*

took the bike out for some AM riding today... climbing was phenomenal... it's the best FS climber i've ever ridden. Even compared to my old 4" AM bike. Did not feel like a 40lbs rig at all. All the force was directed to the wheels thanks to thesuper stiff hussefelt cranks and amazing non bobbing suspension(probably cause of the high pivot).

First for the simple stuff. The Drivetrain is great. XT rear and Deore front with LX shifters. The work really nice and reliable. The brakes had a lot of stopping power but i'm going to have to play with amount of play cause of my short fingers or just change to short reach levers (i'm a small guy, haha). Bash guard is awesome. Bashed it twice on concrete already and holds up great.

The tourque on the bike is really amazing and it's soo easy to pop a wheelie. After riding urban stuff yesterday, the stifness is getting better but still a little stiff to float around stuff. Taking big hits however was a different story. The bikes geometry is so confidence inspiring that you just know you can do it.it goes off drops and jumps like it was a hardtail too... It's amazingly very flickable for a long travel bike and landings no matter how hard are always smooth. As of right now, the suspension is good at absornbing big hits from drops to jumps to stairs. As for the smaller stuff like rockgardens, it's still a little too stiff but that'll all change after the break in period.

In the corners, the bike railed. The rear end was pretty laterally stiff. It had the urget to oversteer a little bit making those tight corners really nice despite the dual crown fork and the wide ass handle bars. The geometry is pretty nicely setup with a slight bias of weight to the front... I'm not sure if it's cause of the soft front and stiff back of the suspension right now or it's the geometry. I'm thinking geometry giving a bias to the front in weight distribution cause of the short swingarm making our bodies lean forward a little bit. I like it...

Tyres, IBEX!!! Whatever you guys do for the next bikes... DONT EVER USE THESE Kenda Kinetics AGAIN!!! They were pretty light and climbed pretty well. Only wheelspinned once. But, it had mediocre braking traction and in the turns, good luck. Even on pavement. I was wheeling and all of sudden, the tyres lose grip and fall sideways. Unless you're in a drifting competition, these tyres are horrible. But then again, for the money i saved on the bike, i got tyres and change to spare... :) Minions here i come.

All in all, a great bike which loves to goooo big. But needs a little time to break into. I'm still in the process of it. Todd_freeride said 3 hard rides. Dogonfr says maybe 2 months. I'm on ride number one, and although it's not broken into yet, it certainly puts a smile on my face... :)

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
mrpercussive said:
Ride report Day1. *Stock Zone*

took the bike out for some AM riding today... climbing was phenomenal... it's the best FS climber i've ever ridden. Even compared to my old 4" AM bike. Did not feel like a 40lbs rig at all. All the force was directed to the wheels thanks to thesuper stiff hussefelt cranks and amazing non bobbing suspension(probably cause of the high pivot).

First for the simple stuff. The Drivetrain is great. XT rear and Deore front with LX shifters. The work really nice and reliable. The brakes had a lot of stopping power but i'm going to have to play with amount of play cause of my short fingers or just change to short reach levers (i'm a small guy, haha). Bash guard is awesome. Bashed it twice on concrete already and holds up great.

The tourque on the bike is really amazing and it's soo easy to pop a wheelie. After riding urban stuff yesterday, the stifness is getting better but still a little stiff to float around stuff. Taking big hits however was a different story. The bikes geometry is so confidence inspiring that you just know you can do it.it goes off drops and jumps like it was a hardtail too... It's amazingly very flickable for a long travel bike and landings no matter how hard are always smooth. As of right now, the suspension is good at absornbing big hits from drops to jumps to stairs. As for the smaller stuff like rockgardens, it's still a little too stiff but that'll all change after the break in period.

In the corners, the bike railed. The rear end was pretty laterally stiff. It had the urget to oversteer a little bit making those tight corners really nice despite the dual crown fork and the wide ass handle bars. The geometry is pretty nicely setup with a slight bias of weight to the front... I'm not sure if it's cause of the soft front and stiff back of the suspension right now or it's the geometry. I'm thinking geometry giving a bias to the front in weight distribution cause of the short swingarm making our bodies lean forward a little bit. I like it...

Tyres, IBEX!!! Whatever you guys do for the next bikes... DONT EVER USE THESE Kenda Kinetics AGAIN!!! They were pretty light and climbed pretty well. Only wheelspinned once. But, it had mediocre braking traction and in the turns, good luck. Even on pavement. I was wheeling and all of sudden, the tyres lose grip and fall sideways. Unless you're in a drifting competition, these tyres are horrible. But then again, for the money i saved on the bike, i got tyres and change to spare... :) Minions here i come.

All in all, a great bike which loves to goooo big. But needs a little time to break into. I'm still in the process of it. Todd_freeride said 3 hard rides. Dogonfr says maybe 2 months. I'm on ride number one, and although it's not broken into yet, it certainly puts a smile on my face... :)
I love how you review the handling of your bike the way most people talk about the handling of their cars.

·
BrassBalled DropbarNinja
11,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
XSL_WiLL said:
I love how you review the handling of your bike the way most people talk about the handling of their cars.
thanx... i'm a bit of physics geek... haha. I also used to race autocross before i got into mountain biking and played around with suspension setups and where to reduce weight and ****... here's a pic of me in the old days...

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
mrpercussive said:
thanx... i'm a bit of physics geek... haha. I also used to race autocross before i got into mountain biking and played around with suspension setups and where to reduce weight and ****... here's a pic of me in the old days...

I love cars (and unsanctioned street racing). :thumbsup:

Looks like you're having fun with the new ride, tear it up. And tell the old man to ride his new bike already. :;)

·
BrassBalled DropbarNinja
11,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
toddfreeride - yeah, the zone is a really sweet bike and it's a monster... there are somethings i just never thought i'd be doing on those other bikes i've been riding including that norco....

xslwill - unsanctioned races??? you mean like this???

Hahaha, that was before i left malaysia... i was driving everyday... gas was expensive... lol

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
mrpercussive said:
toddfreeride - yeah, the zone is a really sweet bike and it's a monster... there are somethings i just never thought i'd be doing on those other bikes i've been riding including that norco....

xslwill - unsanctioned races??? you mean like this???

Hahaha, that was before i left malaysia... i was driving everyday... gas was expensive... lol
I can't really see what's going on, but sure! Haha.

I love driving my everyday car and blowing by riceburners and the like.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.