Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered this frame back in January and was originally told it would be shipped the first week of March. After march came and went, I was told the usual "it'll be shipped in 2 weeks". Last I heard it wouldn't be shipped until the end of August, and then without any warning it showed up. :) I don't fault SC, They build great bikes and ramping up production to quickly can lead to quality issues.

I was concerned that I might not have a bike for the summer, so I called SC in April and said send me whatever color in size large that you have in stock. I was just starting to get attached to the bright red, but will easily adjust to black!

It came with the new 5th element coil (2.25") but swapped my swinger-4way over (primarily as a weight savings) since I was not to sure about using the 5th element air with the falling rate of the single pivot.

Did anyone else who ordered the ano get their's in yet?

·
Registered
29 Posts
nothing yet........

Ordered a medium black ano in mid May and was told I'd see it mid June. I'm hoping by Labor Day. Glad to hear they're shipping the 2.25'' stroke 5th coil. Enjoy!!

I've got every single part sitting here waiting for build up..................

Mike

·
Ultimate Poseur
398 Posts
Swinger 4 Way opinion?

Friar said:
It came with the new 5th element coil (2.25") but swapped my swinger-4way over (primarily as a weight savings) since I was not to sure about using the 5th element air with the falling rate of the single pivot.
What do you think of the 4 Way? I have the 5th coil on mine and was thinking a 4 Way would be sweet. How does it ride in comparison to the 5th Coil? Inquiring minds want to know.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
moff_quigley said:
What do you think of the 4 Way? I have the 5th coil on mine and was thinking a 4 Way would be sweet. How does it ride in comparison to the 5th Coil? Inquiring minds want to know.
The 4-way is great! However, it's not any better performance than the 5th element coil. I added the max amount of air in the spv chamber and it absolutely cancels out all pedal bob. This obviously give a slightly harsher ride, but I really feel the bike climbs and sprints as well as the Blur I had before the red heckler. The only reason to buy the 4-way would be for weight reduction, which at a one lb. savings is substantial, but not noticed too much considering most hecklers tip the scale at well over 30lbs. The 5th element air would have saved an additional .4 lb., but After reading about the tendancy of the heckler's suspension design blowing thru the 2nd half of the 5th-air's travel, I bought a 4-way. The one thing I REALLY hated about the 5th-coil was that you had to use a tool to change the rebound dampening (PITA on the trail), but thankfully the new version now has a knob to allow easy adjustment.

I tried to build up a light weight bike that could take a bit more punishment than my old Blur and I think I've gone as light as I could safely go. The wheels are (IMO) the best place to save weight, but often the most fragile & likely to fail of all the components of a bike. With that in mind, I bought WTB hubs and DT titanium spokes to save as much weight as possible, but used a heavier-duty rim. (I've previously had DT Ti spokes and found them to be as durable as steel, if well-built). Based on my my bathroom scale the whole bike weighs 28.2 lbs., but I need new brakes & tires, which, depending upon what I get, may drop the weight just below 28 lbs. OMG!!! am I turning into a weight weenie :eek: ("not that there's anything wrong with that")

The real test of course, will be how much better the anodized frame performs compared to my old powder-coat frame!!! :p

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
Should be Laser-Etched like the rest of the Ano lineup.......

Nice looking Heck BTW.........

Did/Have/Are you considering the RP3 Fox as a rear shock? - I'm thinkin' about something a little burlier for fun too. - RP3 with a Talas or Maverick up front.

·
'18 Transition Sentinel
1,015 Posts
Is extra $150 for 'anodized' worth it?

Nice! :)

I'm planning to visit a LBS tomorrow to check out some Heckler frames.

I'm thinking of either "powdercoat gray" or "anodized silver" (for extra $150). Is 'anodized' worth the extra $150 (and why)? I've never had 'anodized' before, so I don't know what to think of.

Friar said:
how much better the anodized frame performs compared to my old powder-coat frame!!!
Also, this LBS has some Heckler frames with the new Fox Float RP3 shocks, so that may go well(?) with my TALAS fork & my 150lbs/weight.

Do you know if Float RP3 is a good match with Heckler's falling rate? :confused:

Friar said:
not to sure about using the 5th element air with the falling rate of the single pivot.
Thanks for the info in advance,
- PiroChu

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think the anodized finish is worth the $150. 3 reasons that make it far better are:

Far more durable than the powder coat. I had a black ano blur for a few months then ordered the ano heckler, but as I said I got a powder-coat red frame in april. I use a hitch rack and found that the powder-coat took a beating just from being on the rubber coated rack (fine scratches dulled the finish). The ano blur didn't even show a mark. Also the ano can't chip, but it will suffer the dreaded cable rub (though not as quickly)

Looks really cool with the "flat" finish and the laser etched logos.

saves a marginal amount of weight, without sacrificing durability - if that's important to you.

I've not tried any other fork on my bike, but one friend has a Z1 (which works well), and is something I would consider on my heckler. I don't know a whole lot about the new fox RP3

·
'18 Transition Sentinel
1,015 Posts
Thanks for the info on anodized.

I indeed went to check the frames yesterday, and - without a question - I really liked the silver anodized (over powdercoat gray). But, with ano + RP3 options, a sticker price of $1200 put a brief stop with my budget. I'll have to sleep on it a bit, I think... I may go back there again today. (I'm so wishy-washy...)

I also got to ride one in the parking lot yesterday, though that one had 5th air, not RP3 that I am looking into. The LBS recommended Fox's new very-adjustable coil ("DHX"-something?), which also threw off my decision making some more.

What to do, what to do... :eek:
- PiroChu

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.