Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not exactly sure where I'm going to go with it yet, one thought is a repaint by Bill and build it up as a 1x8 or 1x7 with some nice vintage Hugi wheels on M231 ceramics I've been hanging onto for my Pro Floater build, or maybe a true SS with some CK wheels I'm putting together.

Either way, it's been a long search and I finally got one. It will join the 92 Gator Adroit, 92 Pro Floater and the soon to be maybe acquired 95 ARC.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Frame looks pretty racey, as in low bars. You are a young person I presume? Nice fork.

·
Certified Bike Junkie
1,747 Posts
Nice score. Are those things as heavy as they look?

·
Registered
995 Posts
Very nice!! What size frame is that? As already mentioned the color keyed hammerhead bar\stem and matching hard core fork make this a great find.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The frame is about an 18 or 18.5", which is fine for me. The paint is a 7 out of 10, maybe a 7.5 at best. I really think it would benefit from a repaint, but will sleep on it some more.

It is pretty heave, at least 6 lbs with the frame, fork and the hotheads.

The weird thing about the frame is how small the headset looks compared to the girth of the down tube, seems like it should be a 1 1/8th at least.

Anyways, I am very happy to have found it (it belong to Justin at Freeze Thaw bikeshop in State College, PA - found it while visitng family for Xmas) and am starting to figure out how to build it up.

·
The Crazy Cat Lady of VRC
2,020 Posts
OMG :eekster: I can not believe you stripped this one...

and then bailed on the project. There are a lot of guys who would have given
a left nut for it the way it was.

seriously, not trying to be a d*ck, but WTF?

Steve

·
gobsmacked
8,757 Posts
Yikes. What a freaking pity. In my opinion you just lost half its value but I'm sure the shiny happy people that exists out there will appreciate it. What I don't get is why don't they just get a brand new bike if they can't stand a scratch or some chain suck. Why just make it one less bike out there with original paint?

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OMG :eekster: I can not believe you stripped this one...

and then bailed on the project. There are a lot of guys who would have given
a left nut for it the way it was.

seriously, not trying to be a d*ck, but WTF?

Steve
Whoa, pump the brakes there captain. I've been working on this project with Bill since I got the bike last year. It's taken a while to come up with the color scheme, get a sample painted and get the decals sorted out.

During that time I found a 19" frame which is much better suited for me. So I bought that one, which will now be my bike.

Bill and I talked about how to proceed and his preference is to paint the bike in a design/scheme that its future owner wants, rather than me picking something.

So, here we are. If nobody buys it as is I've asked Bill to just paint it in some wild color he wants and I'll sell it that way.

So, why don't you chill out and stop passing judgement unless you know the entire story. I don't tell you how to manage your collection.

Martin

·
Hybrid Leftys aren't real
16,286 Posts
Steve's actually a really nice guy, just standing up for him in that regard. ;)

I think you're going to run into this quite a bit around here, and if you've ever watched Antiques Roadshow, you'll see where it's not just us.

The debate is an old one, but most true collectors will agree, something with the patina of life attached is far more valuable on any number of levels, than one that is shiny and new. Unless of course, it's that way because it NOS, in which case, it's worth even more.

A repaint will always be that, a repaint. If it's a bike so far gone that it screams do over, that's an interesting debate to have, what's too far gone to leave as is. This bike though? Not nearly over the edge in my eyes, too bad it got stripped, but I understand the situation in this instance, as you explain the proper fitting find.

I've been enjoying your collection as it emerges, you have an eye for it, and apparently an unending source of parts and cash, good on ya on all counts.

It does sadden me that they are mostly repaints, but that is my problem not yours. If you like them that way, and ride the hell out of 'em, all good. But do understand, most here are scratching their heads, trying to figure out how to pat you on the back for your passion, while giving you a head smack at the same time for your actions. :p

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well put, I can't argue with that and I appreciate the delivery =)

There are just some bikes I've always wanted and I wanted them a specific way. What I collect I collect for myself and not to win shows and impress others. That's really all there is to it.

I guess I need to post p pics of my bikes that are not and will not be repainted. Stay tuned.

·
1,529 Posts
There are just some bikes I've always wanted and I wanted them a specific way. What I collect I collect for myself and not to win shows and impress others. That's really all there is to it.
mkozaczek said:
So, all this recent talk of bike flipping vs restorations made me decide to officially come out into the restoration camp. In that vein I decided to convert my hobby into a little side business.

In case anyone wants to check out my burgeoning 'business' and provide feedback, comment or just follow along with some of my projects/builds please check out my site at...
Lets keep our stories straight Martin.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Once again, why do these things exists separately in your head? Why can't I collect and restore bikes at the same time?

Next you're going to tell me that I can't own a road bike or drive a sports car or something.

In the future though, j just to make it easier on you I'll preface each bike I show with a disclosure statement.

·
1,529 Posts
Once again, why do these things exists separately in your head? Why can't I collect and restore bikes at the same time?
I'm not going to engage in a pissing match over this because I honestly don't have a problem with what you're doing. Like Fillet Brazed said in the Yo thread, I've flipped many bikes. But I didn't go to the VRC forum to drum up business by asking opinions on bikes currently for sale and then claim it's for the good of the people.

·
Hybrid Leftys aren't real
16,286 Posts
Agreed. I too have no issue with collecting for personal pleasure, whilst selling for potential profit. Who doesn't see a few dollar signs flash in their head when they catch a glimpse of some forgotten treasure at the local VOA?

I do have an issue with folks who don't understand the nuanced approach required to use this forum as a place to share and chat, and not let it cross the line into gathering info solely for commercial gain, drumming up business, chumming the waters of a particular item for sale, etc. Of course, it goes without saying that flogging an item with a paid ad spam is the exception to that.

It's a fine line, one that must be consciously walked. I need to myself, as I service a metric ton of Lefty suspension forks, and yet, I can't wander into the Cannondale forum, see a thread about how do I fix X, and simply jump in saying "send it to me". I do respond, and provide info that is correct with regards to the situation, and let them do the rest of the leap themselves.

If you're doing this for cash in any sense beyond flipping a bike now and then like any bike geek collector does, then I'd recommend simply listing your website/blog in your signature so it's out in the open. Then, feel free to show stuff you find cool enough to warrant, and leave any mention of it's commercial situation to your website, email in box, or store front.

I know for a fact that Jeff doesn't personally ride most of the bikes he posts for First Flights' museum, beyond a scoot around the parking lot, or the test loop out back perhaps. He does sell stuff from time to time, and yet we all love the pics and the conversation that they often provoke. :cool:

As for what you show, show it all, don't think that no one here will have big love for a dinged up rarity, or that some folks won't have to cringe when that same bike isn't handled by you, as they would themselves.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts