Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there

Jumped on that Jenson deal the other day. A medium 575 in red, 07 front triangle,09 carbon rear and a 2010 DHX air. Now the fun starts.
Most of the components are a no brainer. I have some nice wheels, (American Classic) ,AMP seatpost, shifters,deraillers, bar and stem that will fit. I'll pick up a decent crank, maybe XT.

I will use the DHX at first and give it a chance, though I dont hear many good things about it on the 575. I'm wondering about the rear Vanilla, price seems right on them.

What I'm confused about is the fork and brakes. I have Hayes El Camino's now, and havent had any complaints on my 05 Jamis XLT. They stop when I want to, maybe a little loud when wet. But I want something fairly light this time. I have a line on some Formula Oro's.
And I hear Hopes are nice too. Any thoughts?

But the fork? Damn. Air or coil? What travel? I like the Vanilla 140, or the Float 140 and the prices are right. Rockshox Revelation 150? I dont think I need a heavy,beefy fork with 15 or 20mm axle. Which would mean a new front wheel too. I also dont need a lockout or Talas since my Manitou Minute 3 had the lever on the handlebars to reduce travel and I never used it.

I weigh 175 and ride in New England. So no LONG ups or downs. I like technical trails the best,rollers,roots,rocks etc. Millers Pond,Case,Middlesex,and my new favorite, Blue Mtn in NY.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

·
Registered
3,310 Posts
The Revelation 426 (older 140) is probably the best fork I've ever ridden. I'd snap up the new 150 in a heartbeat. Get the maxle version, regardless of weather or not you think you need it, it really is that much better. Be prepared to throw away all your QR forks and wheels (once you've tried a thru axle, you will probably soon understand what garbage the QR system is, at least for suspension forks).

I'd budget for an RP23 sometime in the near future. The DHX... my 575 came with one, I just couldn't find a useful combination of settings - max pressure in the spring and bottom out, max propropedal and just live with more bobbing than I wanted to with was the best I could do. I'd seriously consider just eBaying the shock while you can still claim it's new.

Brakes are personal. Magura Louise BATs are my favorite (I have 3 sets now). They are bulletproof reliable (with basically no maintainance), reasonable weight, and very reasonably priced, on ebay at least, and for me at least, the perfect combination of power and modulation with 200/180 rotors. No experience with the flashier brakes you are looking at though.

·
Registered
876 Posts
I ride those places (not Blue Mountain). You only think you don't need thru-axle 'cause you've never ridden with it. I ride them on my Titus Motolite with TALAS 140 RLC 15QR. So much stiffer, more point and shoot, then the fork on my last mountain bike, which was also a 32 mm Fox offering.

Get a thru-axle fork, that bike deserves it!

David B.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Get a thru-axle fork, that bike deserves it!

Couldn't agree more! I have a 36Float on my 575 with a 20mm thru and love it!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.