Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
spent 3 hrs building her up, sorry bout the crappy photos but did not finish till dark.

Her lighter weight go fast sister RX100 is hiding in the shadows in some of the photos.

Weight is 26.6lbs, only the Vetta is estimated:

I am still undecided on the fork - Reba or marzocchi AM SL 110-130.

Attachments

·
Registered
50 Posts
SWEET!!!!

with all my *****in about wait time all was forgotten when I unpacked mine this last friday!

hope to have mine built this weekend.

thanx to Charles at HH!!!

·
SNGLSPD
1,058 Posts
just curious

If you have a RX100 why the Moto?
It looks good,I think the Reba is a great fork but it wouldn't be my first choice on the Moto.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well,

I'd been beefing up the RX100 with fat tyres, stronger rims, thinking about a heavier fork, etc moving it too the all mtn category. And still wanting a light XC racer.
So decided to get a ML for the beefier AM category and keep the RX100 as the light weight go fast sister.

KgB said:
It looks good,I think the Reba is a great fork but it wouldn't be my first choice on the Moto.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Despite the color

The pythons are pretty good in hardpack to tacky, and for a 2.0 are larger than most other 2.1s.
Anyway I'm not going to worry too much about the color otherwise I'll just end up with more tyres in my bike room..

Saving the money for an AM SL.

The Trail Nazi said:
:eek: Oh those YELLOW tires !!!

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
just churned out 25 miles

of twisty fast single track, a couple of small drops etc....

the reba makes this bike in 5" mode feel very similar to my RX 100 - though feels faster/more responsive turning than the RX - probably due to a steep HA with the "shortish" fork and rear travel at 5".

Despite the fact that it feels great, I think the reba is too short for this bike and has caused her to encroached into the RX territory. Not what I had intended.

So the bottom line - I really like the reba but it will go on the RX and be dropped to 100mm, it will replace the 03 Marathon SL 105mm. I think it outperforms the marathon in stiffness and small bump response.

The hunt for a "lightish" replacement 5" fork begins. I have sorta set my sights on the marzocchi All Mountain SL. At 4.3lbs - weight penalty is acceptable.

thoughts ?

KgB said:

·
Let's ride
7,125 Posts
Older Fox Talas PUSH'd, or a 2005 Fox Talas RLC.

The Reba is too short for ML. I put the Reba on my Rx100 with the Poplock, and i love it.
The 2005 Talas is very impressive on the ML. I'm 155lbs, so well within the sweet spot for the stock valving.

·
Registered
4 Posts
rensho said:
Older Fox Talas PUSH'd, or a 2005 Fox Talas RLC.

The Reba is too short for ML. I put the Reba on my Rx100 with the Poplock, and i love it.
The 2005 Talas is very impressive on the ML. I'm 155lbs, so well within the sweet spot for the stock valving.
I just rode my new moto lite today for the first time. the 2005 talas is very fine. I still dont have it dialed .the talas can be set up so many ways. iam 155# also. I was surprised at how nimble and snappy the ML felt while climbing. good luck

·
Paper or plastic?
10,631 Posts
heatstroke said:
of twisty fast single track, a couple of small drops etc....

the reba makes this bike in 5" mode feel very similar to my RX 100 - though feels faster/more responsive turning than the RX - probably due to a steep HA with the "shortish" fork and rear travel at 5".

Despite the fact that it feels great, I think the reba is too short for this bike and has caused her to encroached into the RX territory. Not what I had intended.

So the bottom line - I really like the reba but it will go on the RX and be dropped to 100mm, it will replace the 03 Marathon SL 105mm. I think it outperforms the marathon in stiffness and small bump response.

The hunt for a "lightish" replacement 5" fork begins. I have sorta set my sights on the marzocchi All Mountain SL. At 4.3lbs - weight penalty is acceptable.

thoughts ?
Love my Talas on the ML. The only other TA air fork that I would consider is the Rockshox Revelation but it won't come out for a while. It's basically a long Reba.

·
Registered
4 Posts
zorg said:
Love my Talas on the ML. The only other TA air fork that I would consider is the Rockshox Revelation but it won't come out for a while. It's basically a long Reba.
I noticed in the photos the rp3 is set in the upper hole on the lingage is that the 5 inch setting ?

freddie

·
Registered
537 Posts
Fork choice for ML

I decided to go for the Fox Vanilla RLC 2005, as Titus have it at a great price as part of their kits. It weighs about 4lbs but is non-adjustable externally. Internally you can adjust between 100mm or 130mm. I want to run it at 130mm (with plenty of sag) with the bike set at 5" rear travel mode, will probably leave it there as I'm a "fit it and forget it" rider....
The Marz AM forks are quite finicky to set up but sweet once dialled in correctly.
I might end up customizing my Vanilla spacers to end up with a travel setting of around about 120mm if that will work well for both the 4" and 5" rear travel settings.
I guess an adjustable travel fork is a good idea if you're going to be changing between rear travel settings on a regular basis or would just like to find the sweet spot for your riding style, terrain and weight.

·
Registered
260 Posts
5" fork

I'm using a a Fox Talas RLC fork on my switchblade and really like it; however, its not the lightest thing out there. If you are wanting light.... I read an article a few weeks ago talking about a 130mm travel FRM Airway shock that was ridiculously light. I havent found one for sale anywhere yet but I wouldnt mind picking up one of those myself.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok - thanks

A couple more Q :

I can get the AM SL for about 550 shipped.
Who has the best price on the Fox Talas ?

And given the price, would you pick a Talas or the AM SL for 550 ?

The Long travel reba sounds really interesting. Any idea of the price range ? If that was comming out shortly (a couple of months) and was below 450 I'd be tempted to wait

redrock_z71 said:
I'm using a a Fox Talas RLC fork on my switchblade and really like it; however, its not the lightest thing out there. If you are wanting light.... I read an article a few weeks ago talking about a 130mm travel FRM Airway shock that was ridiculously light. I havent found one for sale anywhere yet but I wouldnt mind picking up one of those myself.

·
Paper or plastic?
10,631 Posts
heatstroke said:
A couple more Q :

I can get the AM SL for about 550 shipped.
Who has the best price on the Fox Talas ?

And given the price, would you pick a Talas or the AM SL for 550 ?

The Long travel reba sounds really interesting. Any idea of the price range ? If that was comming out shortly (a couple of months) and was below 450 I'd be tempted to wait
No idea. Probably in the same price range as the Reba. You could call SRAM to find out more. I held one at Sea Otter, and it looks really sweet with the poplock and all.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ok another Q :

Thanks BTW for the code.

What do you think of the FLOAT RLC ? I do not plan to spend a bunch of time farting around between 4 and 5 inch but will leave this fixed at 5". So I can probably live with a fixed fork.

Cheers
Rich

rensho said:
Beyond bikes has a 15% off on sus forks if order online.

they come with King HS.
$675-15%

http://www.beyondbikes.com/bb/Items.asp?absPage=2&CC=FK-FOX
use code: fdkel

If you don't need a King HS, i'd see if universalcycles.com would match it and give you ~100 credit for the king.

Good luck.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.