Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Appalachian Singletrack'n
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have ridden a fixed road bike for a few years and have contemplated the off-road fixed idea for a while now. I received this 6 bolt cog from Boone last week intending to try it out on my single speed. I was dorking around in my shop this morning and just decided to throw the cog and chain on the Wily to see if by chance it may work. I got super lucky and hit on a "Magic Ratio" for my chainstay length. I normally ride a 34/22 on the single speed I knew I wanted a little taller gear this 36/20 seemed to work well. I had to walk up some hills I normally ride but any lower ratio steep descents would be much harder. The chains a tad tighter than I would typically go for, but hopefully that leaves a little elbow room for future chain stretch.

I had to use a couple of half links to get it all to work right.:thumbsup:

The riding experience is allot different than I expected, I never peddled while standing off the back of the seat before.:eek: Tecky roots and rocks were a whole new style of challenge. I defiantly hit on a flow several times that offered up a man/machine relationship that was like nothing I have felt before. I came away from the ride with a very positive feel for the whole thing and cant wait to not coast in the woods again.

·
Appalachian Singletrack'n
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
sslos said:
Welcome to the fixie Wily pack!

Los
Thanks sslos,
I remember you got your Wily a couple of weeks before mine showed.
I was SSing then but thought off-road fixy was quite ridiculous at the time.
How things can change.;)

·
Registered
931 Posts
Endomaniac said:
I was SSing then but thought off-road fixy was quite ridiculous at the time.
How things can change.;)
Welcome to the dark side!

It's hard to explain it to people who either haven't done it, or only did it til they crashed then gave up and said it's too hard, or impossible, or you can only go on fireroads…RC

·
Registered
804 Posts
2xPneu said:
Welcome to the dark side!

It's hard to explain it to people who either haven't done it, or only did it til they crashed then gave up and said it's too hard, or impossible, or you can only go on fireroads…RC
I was the fireroads that scared the crap out of me when I was riding my fixed Wily: too fast for my taste, and the uneven surfaces and ruts were a handful. I was much more comfortable on singletrack.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.