Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
ADIDAB
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After waiting patiently, my Soma Juice finally arrived on the doorstep on Monday (thanx to Will @ Full Cycles for all his help).

This is my first foray into the 29er world and I'm eagerly looking forward to getting her built up and hitting the trails. I just have to get over a recent injury first...

It is a large using the Tange Prestige tubing and my plans are to run it geared with a KM fork. Budget is tight so I'll be using parts left over from a pull down of my most recent steed (FSR XC) plus there's a few other odds and ends I need to source.

As far as I know I'm the only with a Juice in Oz (correct me if I'm wrong...)

Here's the frame... I'll post pics of a more complete bike when it's finished.

Cheers!

Attachments

·
Registered
180 Posts
Yeah, mine showed up from Full Cycles last week while I was on vacation. I waited about 6 weeks to get mine as they were "on the boat". I suspect it took so long because of the change over to the Tange tubing. I'm glad though, because I heard about the tubing switch after I placed my order and figured I'd end up with the old version. Very nice looking frame, just need to get some free time to build it up.

·
President Skroob
499 Posts
I got mine a couple weeks ago. Have any of you had chain clearance problems with the rear wheel. I don't have the chain on yet, but have eyeballed it and am already guessing that the chain will bump on the tire. Of those of who have already completed your build, how many went with 2x9's?

·
highly visible
3,284 Posts
GueroAZ said:
I got mine a couple weeks ago. Have any of you had chain clearance problems with the rear wheel. I don't have the chain on yet, but have eyeballed it and am already guessing that the chain will bump on the tire. Of those of who have already completed your build, how many went with 2x9's?
With which cranks, and which BB width?

·
ADIDAB
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Konnichiwa! said:
Nice. Doesn't that color look better in person? I love it. I have an XL myself built up currently with a black Karate Monkey fork.
Konnichiwa,

The colour is beautiful, and everyone who's seen it so far has remarked on the paint. I've seen pics of your Juice in another thread, one of the pics is currently my wallpaper on my PC. Hope to change that shortly with my own though!

·
ADIDAB
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
GueroAZ said:
Not sure of any clearance problems because I haven't finished the build yet. I'll keep things in mind though and let you know.

I will be going with a 3x9 set-up using Shimano LX Hollowtech II cranks (73mm BB width).

Cheers

·
Registered
847 Posts
Lots of clearance

Juice with 113mm 73mm UN73, Suntour XC Pro cranks set up 1x9, Ignitor.

With the chain on the largest cog in back, there is close to .75 in of clearance between the chain and tire. Even with running an inner chainwheel in front on my setup, I would have plenty of clearance.

GueroAZ said:

Attachments

·
Registered
180 Posts
Got the Juice built up this weekend and took it out on Sunday. I'm still sorting a few things out but I immediately felt comfortable and had a better ride than usual, clearing the big climb that I seldom do on my old bike even though the sand at the bottom caused me to slow down more than usual. I won't post any pics (yet?) because my cam is in the shop and it looks like any other red Juice, but here's the build:

Juice XL frame
MikeSee wheels - FRONT: 36h Ryno/Paul FHub/Exi, REAR: 36h Rhyno/DT Swiss FR/Ignitor
XT cassette
X9 shifters/RD
XT FD
Sram chain
BB7 disks w/ Speed Dial 7 levers
jagwire cables/housings
Hone cranks w/ external BB
EA70 Monkey Bar
Cane Creek S3 Plus 5 headset
Thomson seatpost
Oury lock-on grips
cheapo stem to be replaced once I dial in the cockpit

My only issues were the ride felt a little rough, but I think it's due mostly to a Reba that needs more setup time and too much pressure in the tires. Other than that, it built up pretty easy and looks really nice. I'm loving the MikeSee wheels and the Hone cranks are very stiff (I weigh 250). I have no clearance issue with the external gate on my Reba with the S3 Plus 5 headset and no chain-to-tire clearance issues running 3x9. Bathroom scale yielded 29lbs.

·
ADIDAB
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Steve_N said:
Not sure of any clearance problems because I haven't finished the build yet. I'll keep things in mind though and let you know.

I will be going with a 3x9 set-up using Shimano LX Hollowtech II cranks (73mm BB width).

Cheers
Here's a couple of photos to show you what clearance looks like for me...

The front derailleur is a Shimano LX bottom swing dual pull and tyre is a Maxxis Ignitor.

Attachments

·
ADIDAB
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Finally Finished!

Well, here she is, completed and ready to go. Unfortunately it's raining here at the mo' so will have to wait for a nicer day before an off road excursion. Took the kids for a ride on the local bike paths a couple of days ago to give it a bit of a shakedown and initial impressions was that this will be one sweet ride.

Here's the spec:

Soma Juice L frame / Surly KM fork
LX front derailleur / XTR rear derailleur
LX cassette
LX Hollowtech II crankset
XT Shifters
Avid V-brakes and levers
Specialized flat bar
RF Prodigy stem
Cane Creek S8 headset
Tioga Cr-Mo seatpost
Avocet O2 saddle
Tima ATAC pedals
Velocity Dyad (32H) laced to Specialized Stout hubs
Maxxis Ignitor (F/R)

I also have an Exiwolf that I will try out at some stage to see what they're like and I have a set of Wormdrive 42C for commuting duties. Of course over time I will upgrade, namely bar, seatpost, saddle and wheels but this will do for the moment whilst I dial in the ride.

I'm a bit apprehensive going from a FS back to fully rigid but am also looking forward to it just the same. I'll certainly find out if I got lazy with the skills whilst using the FS!

Anyway, looking forward to the weekend where weather permitting I can take her out for a spin.

Ride report to follow.

Cheers!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Its great to see so many getting Juiced!!!!!!!!...

It is a great riding, high value frame that is very much underated on this forum imho. I got one for my first foray into the 29er world and love it still. Its set up ss, but ive ridden it 2x8 and 3x8 and felt the love in every guise. I have to say, some of the weights have shocked me. my xl juice weighed 26 lbs geared and 23.5 lbs as a ss. why are some so much heavier?, do air forks and v brakes w/sram drivetrains and stans no tubes save that much weight?. Im just curious.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I built mine clyde-proof so I was pleased with anything under 30 lbs. I figure the exi mounted with WTB 29er tubes mounted to a MikeSee set of clyde-wheels isn't doing me any favors. Neither is the Hone cranks, EA70 handle bars, oury lock-ons or the Thomson 410mm seat post. What was your build when it was 26lbs geared?

·
Registered
847 Posts
23-1/4 lb

Set up 1x9 with X.7 shifter/derailleur and 990 cassette, Ignitors.
Nothing really lightweight except for the RC31 fork and RR1 rims.
When I run it SS, it's just under 22 lb.

More important to me is that the handling with the 440mm A-C fork is fast but still stable on my 16" frame. No toe overlap either. Just lots of fun riding.

edouble said:
It is a great riding, high value frame that is very much underated on this forum imho. I got one for my first foray into the 29er world and love it still. Its set up ss, but ive ridden it 2x8 and 3x8 and felt the love in every guise. I have to say, some of the weights have shocked me. my xl juice weighed 26 lbs geared and 23.5 lbs as a ss. why are some so much heavier?, do air forks and v brakes w/sram drivetrains and stans no tubes save that much weight?. Im just curious.

Attachments

·
ADIDAB
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ride Report - Long(ish)

Well, I took the Soma for its first foray off road this morning. I chose a trail that I was very familiar with so that at least I had a gauge from which to go by. Just to give you a heads up, the Blue Mountains just west of Sydney (AU) is basically sandstone. The trail, The Oaks, is pretty well known around these parts and quite popular. Thanks to some rail works, it was fairly quiet as most riders come by train.

The Oaks has a mixture of fire trail and singletrack, and the trail can vary between super rutted and quiet rocky to road-like smooth. It can be fairly sandy but due to some rain a few days before, the sand was nicely packed down. Thank you Mother Nature!

Anyway, after my friend dropped me off near the trailhead, I headed off with a sense of trepidation. I haven't ridden a while due to injury and I was going from a fully suspended 26er to a fully rigid 29er. Although I am feeling okay now, I'm sure that tomorrow morning my shoulders and arms will hate me. Time will tell.

I rode with the idea of "listening" to the bike, sensing how it handles, feels and responds to my input. All I can say is that this bike excels in every aspect. Climbing, descending, tight stuff, open stuff, it was too easy. I was so happy I had a stupid grin from ear to ear afterwards. Having not had any other 29ers to compare it to makes it hard, but compared to my other bikes (FSR XC and DB Axis Pro) it eats them for breakfast.

This bike begs to be ridden fast, especially uphill. I was quite surprised by this although I shouldn't have been considering everything I had read about 29ers. I would have had to use the granny gear on my previous bikes riding this trail but with the Juice, it wasn't required. Acceleration was not a problem. It was probably a shade slower than my old 26ers but barely noticeable. Once up to speed though it was no contest. The Juice kicks butt.

It rolls over objects a lot easier than the other two and compared to the Axis Pro, which had True Temper OXII tubing, the Tange tubing on the Juice feels a lot more compliant, but not flexy in any way (I weigh 95kg/210lbs). It soaks up the corrugations and stutter bumps nicely. Steering is instant of course and it didn't take much to change lines. Totally expected though, considering the KM fork. Not once did I consider that the steering felt 'slow'. Toe overlap did not once enter my mind.

For this ride I used a combination of Exiwolf wire bead up front and an Ignitor out back. This seems like a good combo for me and the type of terrain I am riding on and not once did it feel sketchy. Steering and grip felt very assured. I will need to play with air pressures a bit to find out what suits me best - it was just under 40psi for both tyres - but I'm happy to tinker for a while to find the best pressure.

My only gripe about the bike - and this is really nitpicking and has nothing to do with the frame or fork - is that I would prefer a wider bar. I'm currently using an OEM Specialized bar taken from my old FSR. It's 580mm wide and felt narrow on the bike. I felt I couldn't get the leverage I really wanted during the ride. A bar 600mm or slightly wider would be perfect, so it will be time to start hunting around for something along those lines.

Overall, I am totally stoked I got this bike and I can see it staying with me for some time to come. As for "listening" to the bike, it was music to my ears. I can't wait to get out again and confirm everything I have written here. It fits me great and I'm totally comfy on it and as I get more and more used to the fully rigid set-up I'm sure it will only get better and better to ride. There's no way I could go back to 26ers now.

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
What do you think of the rear dropouts and was the width of them 135 MM?

Nice bike by the way. You will love how a 29er hardtail climbs and keeps its speed.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.